Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

gravel and color

I have a substrate of crushed coral. But if they substrate were black would the cichlids color up better? I already regulate their diet to help them color up and it has indeed worked. But I keep them for color and personality and their personality is excellent. Now I would like more color.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

The list of Mbuna that you have will not really color up with a substrate color change. Their appearance will appear to have because of the darker substrate. With your list, it is really a matter of opinion and taste. If you do decide to change substrates though with something that will increase the ph like your crushed coral does.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:32 PM   #3

If I change substrate I will do it when I set up my wet/dry filter. I will put some of the crushed coral in the bottom of the sump. I will also keep about half of the coral in the bottom of the tank as well as the new substrate.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

That'll work then. You have a lot of room left in that 125. Are you planning on filling that space? If you do there are some Lake Tanganyika cichlids that will look incredible on a dark substrate. They will hold up to your Mbuna too. Look at the Altolamprologus Calvus and Compressiceps. You gotta stay with the darker species though, such as the Blacks or Inkfins. If you go with a light substrate, go with the lighter species.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:34 PM   #5

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Computer is on the fritz.

I plan on adding the following to the tank.
Ps Demasoni - 4; Ps Flavus - 2; Labidochromis sp "red Top Kimpuna" - 4
Labidochromis sp "Hongi" - 3;

Tags
color, gravel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com