Gravel or sand????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I mean by treated water just use the prime and you will be perfect

Yup I would completely empty the tank (makes removing gravel easier) then add the rinsed sand,
add the decor. Slowly add the new water trying not to stir up the sand too much, adding the prime (I figure dose for entire 60gallon) I would add about 40 gallons of water. Once all the sand settles add the fish back and the water they were in. (Just try and keep temperature as close as possible)

If it is more then a couple degrees off between the tank and where you are keeping the fish temporarily I suggest you try and do an acclimatization. Let me know if you are not sure how to do it

If it is more then a couple degrees off between the tank and where you are keeping the fish temporarily I suggest you try and do an acclimatization. Let me know if you are not sure how to do it

Yea not to sure about that. :) I really appreciate all this info!!!

Edited;

It's my pleasure to help out, what goes around comaes around when I needed advice and guidance people always helped me

This method only works when you are adding all the water Together in the end. I will take about 2-3hrs. Once you have the tank filled with the 40 gallons of new water,you said you have about 20 gallons in the holding tank (the tub). Take about 3-4 gallons out of the tub put it in the tank, then take about the same out of the aquarium and add it to the tub. Repeat that every 30-40 minutes until they are both the same temp. I know it's time consuming and hard on the back but best way I know

Once all is the same temp put the fish into the tank and pour in the water from the tub also to top off the tank

I'm down to about 25 gallons in the tank and there isn't anything floating anymore. I should be ok right?

Attachments

• image-2975055422.jpg
    image-2975055422.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 53
I'm down to about 25 gallons in the tank and there isn't anything floating anymore. I should be ok right?

Then you don't need to empty it completely but check the temps and acclimatize if needed. If you have about 25 gallons of old tank water left I would just ditch the tub water after. I am an advocate for large temp matched PWCs I have had great luck healthy tanks and no real illness or deaths In over a year

Then you don't need to empty it completely but check the temps and acclimatize if needed. If you have about 25 gallons of old tank water left I would just ditch the tub water after

Cool. Ill start with that. Thanks!!!!! Pics to come

Good luck it will all be worthwhile in the end (fyi
I also edited my last couple replies to make sure everything is clear)

Good luck it will all be worthwhile in the end (fyi
I also edited my last couple replies to make sure everything is clear)

Will the water settle? Pretty cloudy right now.

Attachments

• image-586689622.jpg
    image-586689622.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 42
Will the water settle? Pretty cloudy right now.

It will it might take a while that's why I said I usually add a air stone and heater to the tub. It might only be tomorrow when everything settles.

It will it might take a while that's why I said I usually add a air stone and heater to the tub. It might only be tomorrow when everything settles.

I can't put the fish into the cloudy water?

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think it is good for them. How long did you rinse the sand before putting it in the tank?

What kind of filter are you running?

I used 5 gallon buckets and the water was clear after about 2 hours. I'm using a marine land 350

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think it is good for them. How long did you rinse the sand before putting it in the tank?

What kind of filter are you running?

Here's how it looks now

Attachments

• image-2371962987.jpg
    image-2371962987.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 54
I would run the filter now and rinse the sponges in a day or 2 to clear the water fast

Back
Top Bottom