Gravel or sand????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm on the website, I can't start a discussion because i'm not sure where to go.

I have one of each and when I've plenty of time I'm going to change the gravel to sand it looks so amazing and cleaner :)

I have one of each and when I've plenty of time I'm going to change the gravel to sand it looks so amazing and cleaner :)

Just a heads up. I had to recycle my tank when I switched. There is a lot of BB in the gravel

When you change also make sure to keep all filter material wet in tank water and you should be fine with the BB as long as tank has been running a while

Thanks for that, I've had the tank running for almost 2 years so it should be ok, I was planning on using all the water again too, just move the fish empty tank , remove the gravel add sand add old water and some fresh, straight forward (laughs) ;) the filter I will leave in the huge bucket with the fish so it doesn't dry out ... Not sure when to do it all though... But when I do I'll post some pictures ;) will my Pleco be ok with the sand ? He seems to enjoy the gravel !

My pleco loves the sand I wouldn't worry about that. Whenever you do it make sure you have the time I could be a whole day project

It's a 200 litre , I'm upgrading to a 400 at some point ( when my hubby makes it) just for my Pleco , but for now I've a 200 litre with gravel an 80litre with sand and a 25 litre with sand , also it's pool sand and its fab !

I used play sand from Home Depot. It was 3.99 for 50 pounds. Just rinse it out for a few hours. I rinsed mine out for 3 hours and my tank was still cloudy. I put a sock over the filter intake so the sand wouldn't ruin my filter.

It's a 200 litre , I'm upgrading to a 400 at some point ( when my hubby makes it) just for my Pleco , but for now I've a 200 litre with gravel an 80litre with sand and a 25 litre with sand , also it's pool sand and its fab !

Nice I like pool sand that and play sand is what I usually use. Now in my planted 70gallon (about 250l) I have black Tahitian moon sand (was a gift way too expensive)

Yeah I got some play sad but didn't like it, the pool sand is great ;) ... I think I might have to wait a month or so as there are a few babies in there and I can't catch them too quick ! ...

Yeah I got some play sad but didn't like it, the pool sand is great ;) ... I think I might have to wait a month or so as there are a few babies in there and I can't catch them too quick ! ...

How much was it? Easy to clean? Any photos? I was thinking of adding more sand because of the look. My African cichlids are digging in it creating a nest.

Back
Top Bottom