Gravel or sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corinna

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone is able to give me advise on the best ground material for my 70L tank (18.5G freshwater).

Is sand best or gravel?

I have gravel in there already but I purchased the tank second hand. Im not sure how clean it is and have not had any luck keeping fish alive despite doing all the right things. I use a gravel filter on water changes.

Thank you
:thanks:

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone is able to give me advise on the best ground material for my 70L tank (18.5G freshwater).

Is sand best or gravel?

I have gravel in there already but I purchased the tank second hand. Im not sure how clean it is and have not had any luck keeping fish alive despite doing all the right things. I use a gravel filter on water changes.

Thank you
:thanks:

Gravel is easier to clean but other than that, either works. If you have not had any luck with keeping fish alive, it's probably not the substrate.

If you want live plants, sand may be better. But if you stick with gravel you can still tie or glue Anubias or Java Ferns to rocks or wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've mostly used fine, rounded gravel and this has been ok with catfish. Every so often a stem plant will pull out though.

If you want to start a new thread you can post your maintenance routines and water tests and we can try to help you keep future fish alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom