Green Algae Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cp900

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

I have had a 75g freshwater tank for about 2 months now and have developed a bit of a green algae problem. The water has pretty much a green tint now (after a large water change). Before that it was hard to see anything even a few inches away from the glass.

I am currently keeping the lights off 24/7 to try to let it die off and the spotted hypostamus to do its thing and eat some of it.

Is this a good course of action or should I be doing something else?

I currently have:

7 Tiger Barbs
9 Cherry Barbs
4 Panda Corys
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Spotted Hypostamus
4 Red Wag Platies

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to AA!!!

You may need to completely blackout the tank to rid yourself of it. Other options would be a diatom filter or a UV device. You then need to figure out the cause or it will come back. Is the tank planted? How long do you leave your lights on? Any direct sunlight?

No plants (except plastic ones)
No direct sunlight or very little.
Currently leaving the lights on from about 8 AM to about 10 PM, after typing that, that seems like a long time, is that too long?

When I had a simular problem, I added a additional canister filter with activated carbon, it really helped out. You might consider that or adding carbon to your current media.

How much are you feeding the fish? What is your water change routine? Light is only one of the needed nutrients for algae.

Well I generally change about 30% of the water weekly (until the algae problem when I changed about 50%).

I generally feed twice a day (morning and when I get home from work) from the following:
1 of the following:
Frozen Bloodworms
Frozen Brine Shrimp
Tetramin Crispy Flakes
Some other regular flakes
Freeze Dried Tubifex Worms

AND 1 of the following
Shrimp Pellets
Algae Wafer

I think I am pretty mindful of how much I feed, but I definitely have cut back since the algae popped up.

I think you're overfeeding. Every other day is fine for most fish. Does it all get eaten within 3 minutes, or are there leftovers falling to the bottom?

The flakes/worms/tubifex/shrimp are usually gone in a few minutes.

The sinking stuff (pellets/wafers) typically take a while longer, but are never there after a couple hours.

I'll try cutting back and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom