Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2021, 06:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Green hair like algae?

Hi, my boss has a fish tank and there is appearing green strands of hair like I would assume algae. I have had fish tanks before but never seen anything like this. Could you please let me know what I should do and how to remove and stop from growing. We work in a hospital and the air conditioning is always on, and he leaves the light on the tank as well. thanks photo attached. He has gone away for 5 days and I am concerned it is only going to get worse.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fishtank.pdf (389.1 KB, 8 views)

Old 04-13-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Urgh.

For a start turn off the lights. 6 to 8 hours per day max. What is the water change schedule? Probably need to increase those.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, is the tank in direct sunlight? You might need to move it or lower the blinds.

Are there any live plants in the tank? If not, i would just turn off the lights altogether until the algae dies off, then gradually reintroduce lighting until you are at a level where your algae growth is managable.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Aiken Drum, thank you for the advice I have done all of the above. How do I remove it please?
Old 04-14-2021, 02:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could manually scoop out what you can with a net or syphon it out. If there is no light getting into the tank it should die off on its own over time. Im not sure your 5 days timeframe will achieve very much.

An article on blackout treatment.

https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping...-out-treatment

If the tanks owner is going to revert to whatever caused that though, you are just wasting your time and effort.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ive replied to the questions you asked via PMs directly as PMs. Not sure how you want to proceed, either PM or in this thread. Gets a bit disjointed if its a mix, and PM doesn't give other people the opportunity to chip in. Ive never personally experienced algae like you have so i can only advise what i "would" do in your situation, not what has worked for me in the past.

There is a lot of neglect going on there, and im sure there are issues beyond algae. The algae is just the end result of all the neglect. While you can manually remove it or otherwise treat it, ongoing good practice and proper tank maintenance is the long term answer. But, it isnt your tank or responsibility.

Tags
air, algae, green, hair

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com