Green Spotted Puffer Questions!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cupcakes.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hiya!
I was thinking about getting a Green Dpotted Puffer. (GSP). I'm not postive about this.. I wanted to know if they could live in a 15 gallon, or maybe even in a 10 gallon.. I know they are brackish fish, and will delvelop into full saltwater..
Thanks!

Yes they can live In a ten gal but it is recommended 30gal minimum due to they grow quite large. If you get one you will soon find that they have quite a personality :)

So i've read!! I have wanted one for almost 3 months. I was about to get dwarf puffers. Like getting ready to go in the car.. But the only store that sold them was like across town.. So i called to make sure they had them in stock.. But they didn't.. The man said "We only get them like twice a year." So i just got other fish.. Glad i did, i love them dearly.. But still wish i got a dwarf puffer :]

Yeah gsp are amazing fish. My gf has one. Her tank was a fw/ brackish water for about 3 months then she wanted to change it over to full saltwater. So we acclimated the gsp for about 3 to 4 days and now he has been full saltwater for about 2-3 months now and from my experience he likes the full saltwater better. He is a cute little guy :). Every morning he will come up to the glass and say hi then swim all around the tank to show off his green spot.

Oh yea!
I almos forgot.. Can anything live with them?
Or will they nip?

They are a little aggressive if you keep 2 of them I'n the same tank. Other then that any fish that is about the same size he will leave then alone.

I have had 7 of them in a 30 gallon tank,I was just starting the fish hobby then,they r great fish,but then,I've changed now,treated them like piranhas and threw smaller fish in to be killed and ate,I was an horrible fishkeeper then.but long as u have fish bigger then them u shouldn't have any problems.p.s. U will have to feed them snails/shrimp/crustoceans to avoid their teeth from over growing eventually.

Well we all make mistakes!
Yes, yes. The teeth!
My question: What kind of snails?
I gotta run this whole idea by my mother.
She hates it when i want more fish :D

Welcome to AA

One Green Spotted Puffer needs a 30 gallon tank alone; A 10 or 15 gallon will not due (I could for Dwarf puffers though).

I wouldnt recommend any tank-mates for this puffer. They are very aggressive fin nippers and do better alone (Dwarf puffers can have tank-mates such as the Otocinclus).

Most pest snails will do (Pond or Malaysian Trumpet Snails). The snails are meant to keep the puffers beak from growing too long. You can start up small tank and grow a snail population in their.

Yes. I would eventually get a bigger tank. I figured since they take a bit to get big, it would be fine in a 15 gal.
I just might do the snail tank.
Thanks !

How about a Amazon puffer? They seem cute! they are freshwater and only reach 4"

get nuisance snalis from the lfs they should be more than happy to get rid of some. throw some in a tank to farm your own, then you will always have live food for your puffer, i love mine and is getting a tank upgrade ! mine ate a mystery snail and some ghost shrimp, and tore my mollies apart in a night.

Ramshorn snails (which are freshwater and easy to breed) will work for their beak.

I wouldn't put a GSP in a tank under 20 gallons even when small. They like their territory.

When large you could put two in a 55 gallon.

I have had 7 of them in a 30 gallon tank,I was just starting the fish hobby then,they r great fish,but then,I've changed now,treated them like piranhas and threw smaller fish in to be killed and ate,I was an horrible fishkeeper then.but long as u have fish bigger then them u shouldn't have any problems.p.s. U will have to feed them snails/shrimp/crustoceans to avoid their teeth from over growing eventually.

I disagree. Bigger fish will be just killed slowly by a GSP. At least small fish are killed instantly... I assume they were very small when you had them?

It really cannot be stressed enough, GSP are monsters. Cute, but monsters.

How about a Amazon puffer? They seem cute! they are freshwater and only reach 4"

The Amazon Puffer would also work (Really, It has the same needs as a Green Spotted Puffer, but just in Freshwater), the only problem with them is that you might not be able to find them locally.

Some sources say that they need a 15 gallon for only one, but I still think a 20 gallon (Like mentioned from Tim) or above.

Some sources also say they are peaceful so they can be kept with other non-aggressive species in a community tank (Only time it is nippy is around feeding time), but I still would keep this fish alone (Or with others of the same species). Not worth the risk.

I currently have 2 gsp in a 55 gal tank along with 2 plecos. A few words of advice if you decide to get some.
1. Go to your local grocery store and buy a 1/2 lb of raw shrimp. Cut it up into little bits and freeze it in a zip lock bag. It will last you what seems like forever and they LOVE IT!
2. As for the snails try to breed some before getting your fish in a separate tank. They will NOT enjoy the salt like puffers. Regular pond snails or mystery snails (apple snails) will do just fine. Trumpet sails are small and can get expensive but they breed the fastest if you have a little heater in the water.
3. Make sure you have some chemicals on hand to keep you puffer tank under control. Their waste contains high ammonia counts. I suggest using Prime along with Kordon AmQuel Plus. Both can be found on my favorite shopping website http://www.petmountain.com/ they guarantee to be the lowest price around. I have had great luck with them.

Ok. So i was looking at aquariums at my LFS. They had a 20 gallon and kit for $100.00. But then they have a sale. It's now $66.00. Do you think thats a good deal?
I will do all of this IF i do get one. I appericate all your help. I would still love more advice! How long do you think the GSP should be before i transfer it to brackish?

I would keep an eye out for when Petco has their $1.00 a gallon aquarium sale. You'll be able to scoop up all the gear you need on the cheap.

Back
Top Bottom