Green stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chenyi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What should I do about all thus green stuff growing in my gravel? The siphon doesn't take it off. Should I scoop it out and try to clean it somehow? Throw it in the garbage and replace it? Will it go away if I fix the light or something?

Attachments

• 20220211_112908.jpg
    20220211_112908.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220211_112816.jpg
    20220211_112816.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220211_112954.jpg
    20220211_112954.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 30
Have you got anything in the tank other than the plant?

You can kill it off by blacking out the tank for a few days, of course not good for that plant if it’s real or if there’s any living critters in there. There’s options for adding critters that should eat it too (shrimp/snails/ect)

Taking out the worst pieces and cleaning them of course is always an option if you had the ambition to go that route. I would probably just toss those worst pieces out and throw in some new stuff before I spend a bunch of time trying to wash it lol

Have you got anything in the tank other than the plant?

You can kill it off by blacking out the tank for a few days, of course not good for that plant if it’s real or if there’s any living critters in there. There’s options for adding critters that should eat it too (shrimp/snails/ect)

Taking out the worst pieces and cleaning them of course is always an option if you had the ambition to go that route. I would probably just toss those worst pieces out and throw in some new stuff before I spend a bunch of time trying to wash it lol

I have had three brilliant rasboras in there for a long time, but the tank was very plain so I'm trying some stuff. I didn't have a plant, but I got the "plant light" so I would have the option. But I guess that just makes weeds grow. So I put a plant in there as well. I like the plant. The fish store recommended I put the light on for fewer hours. I like the light. I don't really want to look at a dark fish tank. I'm thinking about maybe putting a dimmer on it so I could keep it on, but it doesn't have to be so bright. Eventually, I want to do a DIY 3D background. I have seen some videos. But I want to get this situation under control first.

Yes lowering the light intensity and/or the lighting hours will help keep algae from getting too intrusive

If this all started after the new light, that’s basically your issue. Too much light and not enough plant life to utilize the available nutrients, so the algae are taking advantage of it.

I agree a dark tank is no fun, best option is to reduce light intensity. That looks like an led light, which is hit and miss whether or not you can use them with a dimmer (if they don’t have a dimmer function built in). You may have to go with fewer light hours, more plants, or a different light that you can adjust

Yes lowering the light intensity and/or the lighting hours will help keep algae from getting too intrusive

If this all started after the new light, that’s basically your issue. Too much light and not enough plant life to utilize the available nutrients, so the algae are taking advantage of it.

I agree a dark tank is no fun, best option is to reduce light intensity. That looks like an led light, which is hit and miss whether or not you can use them with a dimmer (if they don’t have a dimmer function built in). You may have to go with fewer light hours, more plants, or a different light that you can adjust

I called and they said a dimmer would not work. Bummer because I really like the slim style of the LED light. And I don't want a dark tank. So I stuck some masking tape over it. Pretty ghetto, but it seems to work. Hard to see unless you are looking for it.

Tape seems to work for most. I don’t think I would use masking tape though as it can pose a fire hazard, much more so than electrical tape would (which still isn’t a great idea, but it works)

Back
Top Bottom