Green Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zelda

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm still waiting for the ammonia levels to go down, it's been a week and still at 4ppm. But the water turned green:confused:. Is this normal while it's doing the cycle? I followed how to start the thing going, filter media from other tank,decorations and I added food, bubble thing is going and the heat is at 77.2F. Is there something I missed or do I need more patience?:ermm: I call the company and the person assured me that it was only ammonia and no other stuff.

Is the tank in direct sunlight or do you keep the aquarium light on? Or how much fish food did you add? Green water is usually a sign of algae, probably from too much light and/or overfeeding. If the tank is in direct sunlight, move it. If your tank light is on, turn it off. :D Don't add any more fish food. You can do water changes to clear up the water if it bothers you.

Yup, I bet I added to much food....who am I fooling, I added to much food. Will that go away on it's own (the green water)? I hate to add all the chemical stuff to take care of it if it fixes itself. I'll just tell anybody who asks that it's part of the cycling/learning process.

I hope I don't sound to much of a dunce, I feel like one, but I've never had such a big tank before.

Yup, I bet I added to much food....who am I fooling, I added to much food. Will that go away on it's own (the green water)? I hate to add all the chemical stuff to take care of it if it fixes itself. I'll just tell anybody who asks that it's part of the cycling/learning process.

I hope I don't sound to much of a dunce, I feel like one, but I've never had such a big tank before.

Nope not a dunce at all. We all learn as we go. Not sure if it'll clear up on its own. You can do some water changes to get rid of it, though. Just don't forget to redose ammonia afterwards. :D

Back
Top Bottom