Greetings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deejayb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I am new here on this list however I am familiar with lists of this sort I will do my best to not upset anyone with redundant questions and the such. At that, I will ask...

I recently got a freshwater tank, 10 gallon, and it has been great until the pump/filter I had failed. The person at the store where I had bought it was more than happy to provide a new one at no cost. Because I work full time and have full time classes, it was two days between the time the pump failed and the time I started with the new one. Now, the new filter/pump is not the same exact one as the one I had been using however it is very similar.

What I had was a Whisper: Power Filter 5-15, what the dude at the pet shop gave me as a replacement is a Cascade 80. It seem like it does the same exact job though it is far more powerful.

This is where the problem comes in...

Between the time of the new and old filters, the water became quite murky, and it has not really cleared up with the new filter/pump. I have been replaced about 10% of the water when I vacuumed the sand of the waste and the such. Still, this has not made it much better over 24-48 hours. I know I may be asking a naive question as this seems like a rooky issue and the solution is most likely simple but I am still concerned as it looks horrible and it isn’t getting much better. Any help would be great.

Also...

If there are any recommendations as to a good source for answers to questions such as there. I have just found way too much information on the web that is often vague and conflicting. Any good books, sites etc would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!!!

Welcome to AA deejayb. You'll get plenty of friendly help here. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In order to solve your temporary dilemma we need to know more about your tank. What's in it? Do you have fish (what are they and how many)?

If you click on the Book Library link, you'll see plenty of recommended books.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!!! I appreciate the friendly advice as I have been flamed many a time for asking questions that people feel are of the inexperienced sort.

To answer the questions you all asked for some intel on my situation...

Zagz- I will give that a try as I have been trying to add new water as often as possible without hurting the fish. I have had the set up running for about 1.5 months.

BrianNY- In the tank I have two silver mollys, two neons, and two guppies. They all seem to be pretty hardy fish that dont seem to be too affected by the lack of clarity. I also have a moss growing that I purchased on a piece of small rock as well as a grass the has been doing pretty well with new sprouts coming up in the general area of the original plant.

Fishyfanatic- I did clean the sand prior to adding it to the aquarium and I let the whole system run for 10 days to let it reach some sort of balance I suppose. The water was crystal clear after the 10 days, and it even was until the pump died and I started with the new one.

Again, thank you all for the replies. I appreciate the advice and will keep checking back. this list seems like a friendly and productive one.

Ask any question that you have. The only stupid question is the one unasked. We are here to offer advice to everyone, free of flames. :)

Doing a water change can't harm the fish. Go ahead and do them as often as you like. Just don't clean the media often otherwise you will go through a mini-cycle or another complete cycle.

It could be a bacteria bloom. Have you tested your water for Ammonia, nitrite, and Nitrate? What are the exact readings? Did you transfer the media from the old filter to the new one?

How did you cycle your tank?

Fishyfanatic-Thanks for the reply.

Actually, you bring up a good question as I was just at the pet store with me girlfriend getting stuff for her hamster and I go to looking at test kits. I am sure you know what that is like with the massive price ranges and types of test kits etc. All that I have been able to find here on this site is that the strips are not of much quality.

What type of test kit should I be looking at buying? I am not trying to simply do it for as cheap as possible however, like most people I do try to save when there are cheaper and better options.

Thanks in advance.

Benn

If you have a PetsMart near you, print off this page and take it in to the store. They will price match their online price. It will save you some cash. Before printing out be sure to choose the Freshwater Master Kit from the drop down so it shows the price.

If you don't have a PetsMart near you, you can place an order with Big Al's . I order all of my equipment from BA because it is so much cheaper than any of the lfs. I'd try PetsMart first for the test kit though.

As you can see, I link the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It is highly recommended and easy to use.

That is the same kit that I use. I have never tried the PetsMart trick. I order all of my equipment and drys goods online as well.

Back
Top Bottom