Guppies and gold white mountin minnows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cj92

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all

I recently got a new 19L tank and filter. I got some gold white mountin minnows once I had the filter set up and running for 24 hours. I then at a later date got some guppies to add to the tank. I am new to having fish so I am relying on the advice from the pet shop staff. They have told me that guppies can survive at cold temperatures but after a bit of research, this doesn't seem to be true and they are tropical fish. I have also seen that the gold white minnows are quite hardy and can survive in warmers waters. Would it be best to get a heater for the tank or separate the fish? Also if I do get a heater can I put it in the tank and warm the water up while the fish are in there

Sorry about the long question. Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Are you saying a 19 litre tank or a 19 gallon long tank?

A problem you have is that a 19 litre tank is tiny and not really suitable for those types of fish. Your tank would be on the minimum size for say 3 guppies. The minnows should be kept in minumum number of 6 and will need a larger tank to support those numbers and give them enough swimming space.

The top end temperature for the minnows and bottom end for guppies overlap, so they could be kept together, but its not ideal for either.

Get a 40 litre tank for 6 minnows and keep 3 guppies in your smaller tank.

Are you saying a 19 litre tank or a 19 gallon long tank?

A problem you have is that a 19 litre tank is tiny and not really suitable for those types of fish. Your tank would be on the minimum size for say 3 guppies. The minnows should be kept in minumum number of 6 and will need a larger tank to support those numbers and give them enough swimming space.

The top end temperature for the minnows and bottom end for guppies overlap, so they could be kept together, but its not ideal for either.

Get a 40 litre tank for 6 minnows and keep 3 guppies in your smaller tank.
Thanks for the reply

It is a 19 litre tank, it's weird because the staff advised I could have up to 10 fish in that size tank. I wish I done my own research before I bought everything but you would think you can reply on advise from the staff from the pet shop. I have ordered a 110 litre tank that comes with a heater so I am thinking to put the guppies in that along with other compatible fish and maybe swap out the 19 litre with a bigger tank for the minnows

Thanks again

Some fish stores are better than others. But generally they are there to sell you stuff. If they sell you fish and they get sick, they will sell you medication. If they die, they will sell you more fish. If they sell you inappropriate fish and equipment, they might get to sell you the upgrades too.

An ideal fish for your 19 litres would be a single betta with maybe a snail.

Rule of thumb is 1 inch fish when fully grown per 1 gallon. 19 litres roughly 5 gallons, so 5 inches of fish. Guppy fully grown is 2 inches. So 2 to 3 fish.

You also need to accommodate fish in suitable numbers. So minnows are social fish and need to be in groups of 6 minimum. 10 would be better. Minnow 1.5 inches. 6 minnows, 9 inches. So say a 10 gallon (40 litre) tank which will also give them enough swimming space.

Its a rule of thumb, doesn't work when talking big fish. You couldn't put a 10 inch goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. 1 inch per gallon is conservative with small fish too, but for a beginner its best not to push it.

Yea you are probably right about the pet shops.

Thanks for the help and advise.

I'll be sure to do my research before I purchase anymore fish when my new tank arrives.

And pet stores as opposed to fish stores dont give good advice simply because they often don't know what they are talking about and so just go off what corporate policy says and what little they might pick up. At least in a dedicated aquatics store the employees are usually in the hobby. Even there though getting good advice isnt automatic.

Back
Top Bottom