guppies not doing good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hbbambislayer

Aquarium Advice Freak
My new tank had 7 guppies in it now I'm down to 5 not sure why they just hover around the top of the tank don't move much. The other fish are great seem happy. Was a Fishless Cycle tested water today 0 0 20 ph 7.6 temp is 77-78 any ideas? Other fish are 7 card tetras, 3 rainbows, 1 pleco, 3 ottos, 1 Rainbow shark, 2 red platys.

I've sat and watched the tank the shark seems to always just swim slowly around middle to lower area of tank minding his own business the only one who seems to be a bully sometimes is one of the boesemani rainbows. It's a 55 gallon.

Hmm.. I dont know anything about boesemani rainbows, so I looked them up and found out this at Boeseman's Rainbowfish, Melanotaenia boesemani, Bicolor Rainbowfish

"The Boeseman's Rainbowfish do fine in a larger fish community aquarium of similarly sized fish, but do exceptionally well in a geographical tank stocked with other rainbowfish. Although generally non-aggressive, overly aggressive or very shy tank mates will make bullies out of them. Mix them with other playful but good natured fish for best results. You may notice some chasing between rainbowfish, but this is rarely a concern unless a fish is injured, has nowhere to hide, or is constantly harassed (usually a result of one of the first two)."

So Im wondering if maybe the shark could be considered "overly aggresive" or the guppies "very shy tank mates".

It may not be bullying at all, but the behavior your describing just makes me think its a good possiblity.

If something in the tank is bullying them, then they're likely being over stressed. This could lead to any kind of problem.

Again.. this is assuming that theyre being bullied. Are you able to place them in a different tank? Maybe a 5 or 10 gallon? If so, give that a try and see if they start swimming around more normally.

I can put them in a 10 that's a good idea I'll see what happens then. One of the rainbows does seem a little bullish sometimes if that ends up being the issue I guess I'll have to send him to fishy heaven

awww.. I hope youre joking about that. I think there are things you can do that can change a fish's aggressive behavior. Not sure how well they work, but it would be worth a try. :angel:

Tuesday I lost another guppy, Wednesday I added some hornwort to the tank 5 nice bunches, today the remaining guppies seem to be moving in tank more the rainbows are d staying together nicely even the platy are being more social. Maybe every one needed more cover to make them happier idk I'll see what happens

Back
Top Bottom