GuppyLover's 40g Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I got a 40g from my neighbor a month ago and it needed a massive clean. I cleaned it up and I am going to set it up the first of September (Birthday is the 30th of this month so I will hopefully get most off my stuff for my birthday). I have been figuring out stocking, filtration, and all that fun stuff and I was going to wait till I set it up to start the build but I have so many questions I need to start it now. For Filtration I am going to go with the Aquaclear 70 and for substrate I want to go with PFS. Aquakai was helping me out with stocking (I am going with a south american theme) and we came up with 2 Veil Tail Angels (Pair), 2 GBRs (Pair), 2 Double Red Apistos (Pair), 6 Juli, Panda, or Peppered Corys, and maybe a few Yoyo Loaches. I checked on Aqadvisor and my stocking level is 104%. I am going to need a ton of help with cycling the tank and to cycle I will use used filter media and some used substrate in painty hose, all from my 20g. I also plan on having a planted tank so I will need a ton of help with lighting and all that. As of right now I am still setting it up so I need to know heater wattage and lighting. Pics coming soon!!

Good luck post pics once your done or while your setting up

So I got a 40g from my neighbor a month ago and it needed a massive clean. I cleaned it up and I am going to set it up the first of September (Birthday is the 30th of this month so I will hopefully get most off my stuff for my birthday). I have been figuring out stocking, filtration, and all that fun stuff and I was going to wait till I set it up to start the build but I have so many questions I need to start it now. For Filtration I am going to go with the Aquaclear 70 and for substrate I want to go with PFS. Aquakai was helping me out with stocking (I am going with a south american theme) and we came up with 2 Veil Tail Angels (Pair), 2 GBRs (Pair), 2 Double Red Apistos (Pair), 6 Juli, Panda, or Peppered Corys, and maybe a few Yoyo Loaches. I checked on Aqadvisor and my stocking level is 104%. I am going to need a ton of help with cycling the tank and to cycle I will use used filter media and some used substrate in painty hose, all from my 20g. I also plan on having a planted tank so I will need a ton of help with lighting and all that. As of right now I am still setting it up so I need to know heater wattage and lighting. Pics coming soon!!

I dunno, seems like a lot of cichlid pairs...and your stocking level is definitely not 104%. Yes, AqAdvisor is good to play with, but take it not that seriously. I think if you have good enough filtration, you are definitely not stocked.

All I recommend for lights are T5 HOs. I also have Eco-Complete as a substrate and dose with Flourish Excel daily in my 40 gallon and the plants are growing great.

I dunno, seems like a lot of cichlid pairs...and your stocking level is definitely not 104%. Yes, AqAdvisor is good to play with, but take it not that seriously. I think if you have good enough filtration, you are definitely not stocked.

All I recommend for lights are T5 HOs. I also have Eco-Complete as a substrate and dose with Flourish Excel daily in my 40 gallon and the plants are growing great.

Thanks bruins! I want to add a school or two of tetras. Ditch the apistos? I already have the two angels on hold and have the GBR in my 20. The angels may or may not pair up though.

I was at petco yesterday and they tried to tell me I needed 913lbs of Eco-Complete. First off I think that's majorly wrong because most stands I looked at only held 900lbs and Second that would be majorly expensive. I was thinking mixing it with some pfs would look cool.

GuppyLover said:
Thanks bruins! I want to add a school or two of tetras. Ditch the apistos? I already have the two angels on hold and have the GBR in my 20. The angels may or may not pair up though.

I was at petco yesterday and they tried to tell me I needed 913lbs of Eco-Complete. First off I think that's majorly wrong because most stands I looked at only held 900lbs and Second that would be majorly expensive. I was thinking mixing it with some pfs would look cool.

I don't see why not. Keep in mind though, some tetras are nippier than others so keep them in bigger schools so they "play" with each other instead of with your angel's fins.

I'm not sure. It all depends on the fish you want. I guess you could try doing those three pairs provided you have a back-up plan if anything goes horribly wrong.

That is plain nonsense! Why on earth you you need 913 lbs. of Eco-Complete? You would have no room for fish! I just have twenty lbs.

I don't see why not. Keep in mind though, some tetras are nippier than others so keep them in bigger schools so they "play" with each other instead of with your angel's fins.

I'm not sure. It all depends on the fish you want. I guess you could try doing those three pairs provided you have a back-up plan if anything goes horribly wrong.

That is plain nonsense! Why on earth you you need 913 lbs. of Eco-Complete? You would have no room for fish! I just have twenty lbs.

What do you think of long finned black skirts and Von Rios, hatchetfish, or bloodfins?

I could put the Apistos in another tank if need be. I am upgrading from my 20g and it will probably be my qt so if need be they can go in there.

I know right!! I thought they were crazy! It took them 15 minutes to figure it out!

So I found this Blue striped angles and Blue spotted ones and I really want to get one. If I threw out a school could i fit another in?

What do you think of long finned black skirts and Von Rios, hatchetfish, or bloodfins?

I could put the Apistos in another tank if need be. I am upgrading from my 20g and it will probably be my qt so if need be they can go in there.

I know right!! I thought they were crazy! It took them 15 minutes to figure it out!

I don't think any of those are fin nippers, I believe.

So I found this Blue striped angles and Blue spotted ones and I really want to get one. If I threw out a school could i fit another in?

So you wanted three angels? I think just two is kinda pushing it...

So your stock would look like
x3 angels
x2 GBRs
x_ other school(s)? <-----this could be a factor in your stocking

Also, I think it should just be two. It's just the risk of running into having a pair and having a third wheel angel...

So your stock would look like
x3 angels
x2 GBRs
x_ other school(s)? <-----this could be a factor in your stocking
x1 Albino BN Pleco
x4-6 Peppered/Juli Corys

Also, I think it should just be two. It's just the risk of running into having a pair and having a third wheel angel...

I was thinking of the third wheel thing to...Figured I'd atleast ask if I could fit one in.

I want to have a school of Rummynose Tetras. Was thinking 6 or 8. I really want a Gourami, It doesn't fit in with my whole SA theme so I didn't list it but I think I might make an exception.

So
x2 angels
x2 GBRs
x_ rummynoses
x6 cories (only because the more the merrier :))
x1 albino BN pleco
x1 gourami????

Stocking looks good, I think your fish will have plenty of room to stretch. But I think that's about all you could add...

So
x2 angels
x2 GBRs
x_ rummynoses
x6 cories (only because the more the merrier :))
x1 albino BN pleco
x1 gourami????

Stocking looks good, I think your fish will have plenty of room to stretch. But I think that's about all you could add...

I like it (y). I might throw in a couple RCS and maybe a mystery snail but that doesn't matter much.

How many Rummynoses? I want a nice big school of them but not to to many.

Also are there any hardier species/strains of Gourami? I know a lot of people have theirs die on them.

I have kept my two kissing gouramis for well over a year now but they can get pretty big one of mines is 6 inches and still growing.. Apparently they can get to 12 inches.

A gourami that does good with me is my opaline gourami. It takes all the brutality of large water changes, and living with a turtle and goldfish that eat a bunch. I've had it for about a year and the people before never specified but I'm guessing at least 2 years because of it's size and the age of the turtle they had:)

Pearl, moonlight, gold, opaline, and blue gouramis are all bigger gouramis that could work. The gold, opaline, and blues could take a hit from your other fish but might be super aggressive. The pearls and moonlights are some of the more peaceful and mildly-tempered ones. It all depends on the individual fish.

I really like the Opaline Gouramis. I wish I could get two Kissing Gouramis because I love Cleggats but as she said they can get to 12". And since Aquakai said they are pretty hardy and I am trying to get all the colors in there I can they would add my blue its a plus.

I have Red, Black, White, Blue, and Yellow. Anyone know of a purple and green cory :rolleyes: lol. The peppereds do have a purple and green tint sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom