had to euthanize one of our guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpringSprite

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Geez, I had no idea what I was in for when I bought my 5 gallon glofish tank, thinking it would be all good, simple and relatively inexpensive...:whistle:

Am up to a 20 gallon with 3 glofish, my husband had to euth. 1 last night (he had not eaten for over a week probably almost two, mysterious wasting illness that I couldn't figure out). Water parameters had been ok, tank was not cycled, but we bought all different kinds of food to try to tempt him and he just wasn't going to make it. It was really sad...

I have a new filter coming in a couple days, have bought medicine, salt (have now learned tetras and salt don't go together so well), new lights, changed gravel for sand, bought more (fake) plants, heaters, cabinets, nets, a background, clove oil, vodka, the fish, thermometers, etc. etc. etc.

I'm probably $400 into this inexpensive hobby! But I LOVE my fish :fish2: and can't wait until I'm fully cycled to complete this school and get some more! I cannot BELIEVE how much I have learned about fishkeeping since the middle of December :thanks:

Anyway, just wanted to share.

We euthanized because with my limited experience and extensive research we figured he was not going to get better...had not eaten in like a week and a half, was swimming straight up/down/flipping over when he swam, laying on the bottom, the meds we got didn't seem to do anything, and I didn't think his quality of life was worth a thing :(.

Clove oil, given gradually to anesthetize and then an overdose to be sure he was gone. It was as peacefully as I could have imagined, but very sad for us.

Thats too bad. Sorry for your loss. I would hold of on adding any more fish until you are fully cycled if possible. As far as the salt, tetras do care for it. The clove oil, hopefully you wont need to use that any more. The vodka...idk. Pour up some shots?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom