Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hang on or diy canister?

At the moment I have a 50 Litre tank with a 500Lph internal filter with some fillter wool added inside it for a lil extra finer filtration (obviously it has flow control). There is only 1 fish in there at the moment murray cod (native australian fish) and will be adding a 2 eel tail catfish (another native australian fish). I am looking at adding some biological filtration by either a diy mini canister or a 250lph hang on, as daily water changes for safety suck. Am I right in thinking the diy would be better because I can find as big a container as I want and add more bio filtration then a hang on filter could ever offer?

Old 02-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
There are some pretty ;arge HOB filters nowadays and for a 50 L you'll probably find one that's more than adequate. But you are right in saying that you can adopt any sized container as a DIY canister. And if you want to make it larger at any point then you will have that flexibility where you won't with a HOB.

And I would go with as much filtration as you can. The murray cod is one big fish! I also advise you to looking at upgrading your tank. Murray cod can grow to 3 feet.

marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

50 l (12 gal) tank is not that big, so I am not sure how much mileage you will get with just upping the size of your filter. Generally, a wet/dry filter with a sump is the easiest way to increase the circulating volume of your tank. This is easier to DIY than a canister since it is not pressurized & doesn't need to be totally sealed. However, most people have sumps for much larger tanks. <Although a standard HOB filter can be thought of as a tiny above tank sump ...>
Old 02-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I didn't really see it as too much work, being that's they have a silcone o-ring and locking clips on all 4 sides. That and a bit of silcone and it's sealed. I was thinking of maybe just attaching a hose to the outlet of an internal filter and having it pump water through the container instead of having an internal pump. That way the container can solely contain bio noodles and have the need for less holes. It's on the back burner for the moment anyway as i'm in need of a few more tanks to seperate some fish.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Conceptually, a canister is really quite simple, but it might be hard to get a good seal under pressure. Most DIY canisters I've seen (on the web) started with some kind of sealed container, like this one:
DIY Canister Filter

I did remember reading about one made out of a garbage can, but I can't find the link ATM.

Tags
canister, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com