Has the cycle stalled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra123

Aquarium Advice Regular
I did a 70% water change because of high nitrites. I let it run for about an hour. Then I tested it and the results were:

Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite .25ppm
Nitrate 5.0+

The ammonia used to be zero, what happened to make it show up again?

Is it a fish in or fishless cycle? when you did a water change did you a water conditioner?

Did you clean any of your filters? Did you test your tap water?

Are you using the api liquid test? Did you test your tap water for ammonia after you ad water conditioner?

The ammonia is coming from somewhere. I have no idea since you say you have no ammonia in your tap water.

Have you tested your PH? PH crashes are common during cycling and can stall things a bit if they fall dramatically in a short period of time. How long has the ammo been reading 0? And how long have you had nitrite?

My ph is about 7.4. Ammonia has been reading 0 for about 1 to 2 weeks. I have had nitrites for about 1 to 2 weeks also. I did use Start Smart TLC to jump start the cycle. Could thatbe part of the problem.

I've never heard of it; the bacteria starters can be hit or miss. Some work, some don't, some don't even contain the correct bacteria, it's hard to say. Did you add any fish or anything to the tank recently?
You use dechlorinator before adding water to the tank, right?

Do you do a gravel vac as well to suck up any uneaten food or waste? They can breakdown and cause spikes as well.

Do anotehr 50% water change if you can (clean the gravel to with a siphon if you have one) to get ammo and nitrite down further and then let's see what happens tomorrow, hopefully it's a temporary hickup. You're still within the normal timeframe as far as nitrites go;typically they last around 3 weeks on average. How long have you been cycling? And what size tank and what fish? Just to check everything. :)'

*edit: also do a fish count just in case; a dead fish can decay and cause ammonia spikes too.

Back
Top Bottom