Have I done all I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WastedJoker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I've always wanted an aquarium but always felt too nervous doing it!

However, finally decided to take the plunge and have finally got my first setup started :D

I decided to start modestly with:

1x Fluval 63l freshwater tank (it came with a Fluval Plus2 internal filter, heater and thermometer and lighting system and a few treatments etc)

I followed the advice of the guy at the aquarium by washing the tank out with cold water and a sponge and also rinsed out the aggregate/rinsed off the plastic plants.

I added the chlorine treatment and allowed the water to be treated before added it to the tank. I waited 24hrs to allow the correct temperature before adding my first fish. I then added the recommended dosage of King British Safe Water for my size tank and also mixed tank water into the bags the fish came in until the temperature was equalised.

I also took a water sample to the aquarium guy and he said it all seemed ok for us to add first fishies.

Aquarium guy advised on suitable types for a first-time aquarium - 4x Gourami (Blue Dwarf and Opaline) and 1x Siamese fighting Fish. He said these were compatible and hardy enough to act as "guinea pigs" :( Although, he does guarantee his fish for 48hrs....:p

Now, the fish have been in for 24hrs and doing well - they've fed well and cannot see any issues (probably too early to tell?).

I've adjusted the output of the filter so the flow is half in the water and half out - was told this would increase oxygen absorption with the rippling etc.

Have I missed out any steps?

I'm going to leave my fish as they are for a month or so before considering any new acquisitions.

Last edited:
Oh and advice on changing water would be good - understand I need to do a 20% water change each week but what is the best method?

I've read this forum a bit and it seems Python Pumps are highly recommended? Do they clean the aggregate as well as do the water change?

I have never heard of King British Safe Water, is it suppose to do an instant cycle. You didn't mention anything about a test kit for ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites so you can test your own water at home. The list of fish that he sold you will probably be very aggressive towards each other. Here is something I refer to when stocking an aquarium Tropical Fish Care Guides

I do water changes ever week on my larger tanks and on the smaller tanks I do 2 a week. Usually between 20 and 50%. A python works great for vacuuming the gravel.

He there and welcome! :)
Having never used the King British product I can not make a prediction or recommendation on it's use, but I can tell you that it would be a great idea for you to have a liquid test kit so you can monitor your ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels at home. Especially for the first month or two.
The product you used may help speed up the cycle but there will still be one. Ideally you need to do a water change anytime your liquid tests reveal the ammonia or nitrite to be .25 -.50 so that you don't stress your fish. You don't really have to use guinea pigs. They can all survive if you use this method.

The python is really handy although I found I like it better to just drain the hose to the ground for freshwater fish, I just take the end of the hose outside to my flowers or lawn as they can benefit from the water and nutrients. Yes it does include a gravel tube so you are able to clean the gravel although I would wait until your cycle is complete to disturb the gravel as this is where most of the beneficial bacteria live, if you disturb them too much you will delay your cycle....after your cycle is complete (in a month or so usually) then it is safe to do a good gravel cleaning.
Then I use the python pump to allow me to get the water to the right temp before starting the refill then close the pump and fill 'er up...you will want to make sure to add the full amount of water conditioner before you start refilling (dechlorinator product) and that's all there is to it.
It is certainly easier than buckets or pitchers of water. :) But it doesn't have to be python brand, some stores sell a cheaper version, works just as well, even a garden hose can work to refill, you just want to be able to get the temp as close to the tank water temp as possible before refilling. I hope I have answered your questions. Let me know if you have any more. :)

Back
Top Bottom