Having to do a fish-in cycle, need a little help..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, so obviously I'm new to this if I was led into putting fish in before cycling by the evil LFS.. anyways, its about 3 weeks into a fish in cycle now (I don't wanna take the fish back to do a fishless cycle, so imma try my luck with this), and I have questions about my readings, pretty much is it right, where am I roughly in the cycle, and do I need to do anything different?

Also I plan to log my progress here, so if something goes wrong (or if something goes right even:D ) y'all could help me.

Just got back from vacation for 10 days, did a 50% pwc, heres my readings:

Ammo: ~0.25ppm
NitrIte: ~0.50ppm (first time I've seen NitrIte)
NitrAte: ~0.00ppm (maybe a tinie tiny bit darker than 0.00ppm but not near 5.00ppm)

What does the arrival of nitrIte mean?

Thanks!

The arrival of nitrites mean you are half way there!

You have now enough bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrites, so ammonia should be near zero most time. The nitrites will spike as there is no nitrite eating bacteria yet. You need to continue with pwc to keep nitrite levels low and wait for the 2nd bacteria colony to develop. When that happens, the nitrates will start to rise & ammonia & nitrites will stay zero.

BTW - nitrites cross react in the nitrate test. So high nitrites will give a positive nitrate reading. Until the nitrites come down, don't get too excited with rising nitrates!

Means you just need to continuecwith the PWC's. Nitrite means you have the BB that turns ammo into nitrite ... the next step is to have nitrates. At that point you have the BB needed to have a cycled tank.

Once you are fully cycled you should have 0 ammo, 0 nitrite and around 40ppm or lower nitrates. Above 40ppm nitrates is not ideal, I try to keep mine between 10 and 20ppm ... for my plants.

jsoong said:
The arrival of nitrites mean you are half way there!

You have now enough bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrites, so ammonia should be near zero most time. The nitrites will spike as there is no nitrite eating bacteria yet. You need to continue with pwc to keep nitrite levels low and wait for the 2nd bacteria colony to develop. When that happens, the nitrates will start to rise & ammonia & nitrites will stay zero.

BTW - nitrites cross react in the nitrate test. So high nitrites will give a positive nitrate reading. Until the nitrites come down, don't get too excited with rising nitrates!

How often do I need to do pwc's then, I've just been doing them enough to keep my ammo below 0.25ppm.

Or I guess what do I need to base of off in which when to do a pwc?

jcolon said:
Means you just need to continuecwith the PWC's. Nitrite means you have the BB that turns ammo into nitrite ... the next step is to have nitrates. At that point you have the BB needed to have a cycled tank.

Once you are fully cycled you should have 0 ammo, 0 nitrite and around 40ppm or lower nitrates. Above 40ppm nitrates is not ideal, I try to keep mine between 10 and 20ppm ... for my plants.

Okay, so I'm on track it sounds!! :D woohoo! Good news for me!

Test this morning:

Ammo: 0.00ppm-0.25ppm
NitrIte: 1.00ppm
NitrAte: 0.00ppm-5.00ppm

Looks like both nitrIte and nitrAte went up.

You want the trites at 0. I would do a 50% change now and maybe another later today.

Going the fish in cycle is a rough road. Good luck. if the ammonia or nitrite rise again, just keep doing PWC's til you get them back down. Eventually the nitrates will build up and will consume the nitrites.

Keep an eye on it and if the ammo or trites rise just do another pwc. :-D

Good job getting those ppm's down

Okay, so obviously I'm new to this if I was led into putting fish in before cycling by the evil LFS..

I can't say I am surprised. I have 5 LFS's and none of them have recommended fishless cycling. They all kind of laugh and just say to get some danios. You're not the first person on these boards that has regretted having to go through a fish-in cycle.

They must love you. Nothing like a customer getting in the way of another sale! Although, that lady would have had a real tankbuster problem on her hands.

Soooo, my tests haven't really changed all day, is that a good sign? Or what? Do I just need to wait longer?

Ammonia: 0.00-0.25ppm
NitrIte: 0.25ppm
NitrAre: 0.00ppm

Just curious to what y'all think.

Since you have fish in the tank I would do a small water change to get those trites and ammonia down to zero. It's good that you have some trites, means the ammonia is being converted into trites. The next step is for the bacteria to convert trites into trates. When that happens, and you have no ammonia or nitrites anymore youre done. :)

I guess I am on a "bash [store]" mission today- considering there are lfs that engage in this as well...

Bu how many times have I been to [store] and witnessed people with a shopping cart that included a tank kit in a box, and a handful of fish bags with too many fish for the tank they were buying? Too many times!

That they would sell a tank and suggest fish in the same visit is insane. To then sell them a bio-load car beyond that tank's capacity even if fully cycled is bordering on criminal.

Nothing like hearing a [store] Employee (or [other store], or....) loading up a tank for someone, handing them a bottle of water conditioner and telling them too hook it all up, fill it up, pu a couple of drops in, then dump in all these pretty fishes and all will be fine....

Makes me want to slap someone!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom