Heater placement (under gravel)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanub

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

This is my first post so hopefully I'm dropping this in the correct area. I have a newly setup Fluval Edge 6g. Being that this "all in one" kit did not include a heater, I purchased the 25w Fluval submersible polymer heater. My question: is it okay to pace the heater horizontally under the gravel instead of vertically suction cupping it to the glass?

The heater seems to be keeping the tank at 72 F whish is about 7 -8 degrees warmer than I keep my house thermostat set at. It seems to be doing its job just fine but my concern is that I may be decreasing the longevity or potentially damaging the heater by placing it in this fashon.

Thanks in advance!

I have never heard of someone doing that, is there a reason that you want it under the gravel? If your concern is appearance you can always use decor or even better live plants to cover it. Functionally it should be fine, I wouldn't consider doing that with mine but they are all glass fluvals.

I'm not sure you would get proper use out of the heater if you bury it, I've always put my heaters vertical and near the current of the filters. Your heater may start to work overtime and cause it to burn out? I personally wouldn't risk it unless you have another heater for quick replacement if it burns out or the possibility of it shorting and frying your fish. Just my opinion.

@ RedFlame, yup just for asthetic reasons. Since it doesn't have a temp setting, adjustment is not a concern. hopefully it will be fine (functionally, longevity wise) under the gravel. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom