Heater Recomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnL

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All

Just joined the forum and have a couple of questions about heaters.

I'm just getting back into this hobby after a 25 year lay off and things sure have changed.

I'm trying to select heaters for a 55 gal tank I think at this point I have decided to go with two 150w for the redundency but I'm having trouble deciding on the brand. I would like completly submersable with external control. What would you all reccomend?

You may need a 250w heater for 55 gal tank.

I am using a Marineland® Visi-Therm® Stealth Submersible Aquarium Heaters 250W in my 58 gal tank and is very satisfied with it. But it doesn't have an external control.

JohnL said:
Hi All

Just joined the forum and have a couple of questions about heaters.

I'm just getting back into this hobby after a 25 year lay off and things sure have changed.

I'm trying to select heaters for a 55 gal tank I think at this point I have decided to go with two 150w for the redundency but I'm having trouble deciding on the brand. I would like completly submersable with external control. What would you all reccomend?

Visi-therm Stealth. I love them. Had others and had a glass one that broke last week, had to make an emergency run for a new one. Should have bought the Stealth to begin with, I have one in all my tanks now...

Tom

Visi-Therm Deluxe or Visi-Therm Stealth.
Deluxe is glass, and Stealth is black plastic.

Thanks all for the recommendations the visi-therm seem to be popular. But I'm leaning towards the TI titanium heater I may give it a try.

I would go Visi Therm Deluxe or Stealth, I have three Deluxes running, the oldest one being 3 or 4 years with no problems. Whatever you decide go with a submersible and stay away from the ones that hang, and as far as the inline ones, there nice but if the filter breaks or gets clogged you may be in a pickle as the water flow is what heats the tank. I also occasionally use an old EBO-Jager heater my parents bought in the early 80's which still works great, I know there still around but don't know anything about there quality these days.

Id go with two 200watt heaters instead of a single large heater also.

Sounds like the Visi Therm is the way to go I'm planning on using two 150's (55gal). What's the difference between the deluxe and stealth models?

Deluxe is glass, stealth is black plastic stuff or something...

only disadvantage out of the two is that stealth has no pilot light to show that it is heating.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice I think I'll go with the Visi Therm Deluxe.

Back
Top Bottom