Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnlucky5

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I tested my water tonight and I have a picture, I did the test right I promise haha read all the directions! :D want to know why I don't have any nitrites? Maybe something is killing the nitrite Bactria off?!? Idk help? Any info will help! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395289396.753398.jpg
Ph 7.0 ppm
Ammonia 1.0 ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5ppm

It's been up for a month fishless for a bit but now has a betta.

Have you tested your source water? It is possible that it contains nitrates. Also, if you have a betta in there, you need to do a large water change to get the ammonia down. That much ammonia is unsafe.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ok and yea I have, there is 0 nitrates in my tap water. But there is also .50ppm ammonia in my tap as we'll.

Looks like you are still cycling then. Keep up with the water changes to keep that ammonia lower than 0.5ppm, and same for nitrites if you get a reading.
In a tank with only one betta you may not get nitrite readings since the bacteria is converting it quickly enough as it's a small bioload.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When my ammonia is 0 how many fish should I add at a time? I was thinking 3? The fish I'm adding are under 2" and are tetras.

3 cardinal tetras
3 glo light tetras
3 black tetras
3 rasbora's
And 2 juli Cory's
Oh and 1 betta
16 gallon tank, to much? Over crowding?

I do think that is a bit much, you might need to drop 2-3 schools a up the ones you keep and the cories.

So like 4 cardinals
4 black tetras
4 glo light tetras
And 2 Cory's?

I think you're just better off keeping the rasboras, cardinals, betta and cories.

How many of each do you think?
2 Cory's
5 cardinals
5 rasboras
Or 3 each?

So you guys think I can get away with
3 Cory's
5 cardinals
5 rasboras
And I betta

Check on Aquadvisor, not sure about the numbers. I d def get the cycle stable first , then get a few fish every couple of weeks. It pays to be patient & beleive me, most of us are not ! But, I mainly hang out here to try to help people avoid the mistakes I ve made . And to keep learning, of course.

Yea I have 2 Cory's and a betta I'm going to wait till the ammonia gets to 0 then add one school at a time. 5 pork hop rasboras and 5 cardinals.

I herd that when adding a schooling fish, to add the while school if the numbers are under 10.

Sounds like you re on the right track. Just a guess, but.....do you have plans for another tank?

Later on when I get a hose were getting a 55 or 36 bow front.

Back
Top Bottom