Help,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tap

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
is it ok to do a 50% water change suring a cycle? i noticed depressions in my floor due to only 4 legs on my stand, i need to put a plywood sheet under to spread the weight equally. Can i do a 50% water change during the cycle withought not damage. I have to lighten the tank before lifting it.
Thanks in advance
-tap

Not a problem Tap...do this as quickly as you can. The cycle won't be disturbed by water changes. What you could do is get a nice sized tub and put your water in it until your finished with the move and then...put it right back in. :D

A couple of points here:

1. Normally, I don't think that large of a water change is a good idea during a cycle, but it appears as if you may have bigger issues with the bowing floor. So, looks like you'll have to take some water out anyway.

2. Hopefully, a plywood sheet will work, but some may be too thin to effectively redistribute the weight.

3. Depending on the size of your tank, half full may still be too heavy. A half-full 10gal will still weigh at least 40lbs.

My two cents.

HTH

its not boqing, its just that there is a minimal depresion ender the legs and putting a sheet of plywood will not let these depresions grow bigger. i have taken out 25% and im waiting for the varnish to dry then ill try to lift one side then the other one, or else ill have to do a 50% or maybe even more. i had the same idea of keeping the water in a bucket. thanks alot

The only real impact doing a water change during a cycle is to dilute out some stuff, providing you don't disturb the gravel and filter. So, the cycle might go a tad slower, but it won't hurt anything. The bacteria really won't grow that much slower, but with less ammonia and nitrite and nitrate due to dilution, you won't see the nitrate rise signalling cycle end as sooon. This may only make the cycle seem longer by a couple of days or so, so don't sweat it.

I did a smaller water change (20%ish) in the middle of a cycle, no problems.

Back
Top Bottom