Help! Amonia to high for my pregnant platys tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, could anyone please help me. I have a 10g with N Aqueon 10 filter, faked hanging plants and some gravel from my cycled 55g. I also set it up with 5g of cycled water and 5g tap water. She is in it and I'm waiting for fry. I need to get that ammonia down. Today's test, ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate 0-5, pH 7.5 I thought of using a filter out of the cycled tank but their too big. Should I put the filter in the water will that help? Should I WC using the cycled water? Should I add more gravel from the cycled tank? I'm just guessing and desperate, please help me as soon as you can. I am making a trip out so I can swing by the LFS, by the way who I don't trust at all. I go through this site. I'm trying to find a fish store.

.25 is not that bad but I understand because she's pregnant its a higher concern. A water change of at least 25% should bring the ammonia down to 0, I would go closer to 50% with treated tap water. Most of the BB is in the filter media not the water or subrate but using those from an established tank will help the new tank. Because it seems as if the 10g is freshly set up you are going through a cycle & will need to do the steps for a fish IN cycle; water test daily, change water as required based on results. Someone else may have a different opinion.

I read lots of good stuff on this site the cycle procedure makes sense as I did it for my big tank. I'm trying to avoid it or minimize as little as possible so she doesn't stress and self abort the babies or cause her to die. I'm so stuck on the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom