Help! Can I seed a heated aquarium with media from a goldfish aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EmmaLou89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I’m one week in to a fishless cycle. I’ve looked in to how to speed it up and seeding seems the obvious choice. I have access to a very well established gold fish aquarium and taking some gravel from there is fine, but I’m intending to have tropical fish. So can I use media from a cold water tank to ‘seed’ a tropical tank?

I’ve tried to search for the answer online but nothing comes up.

Thanks ?

Hello,

I’m one week in to a fishless cycle. I’ve looked in to how to speed it up and seeding seems the obvious choice. I have access to a very well established gold fish aquarium and taking some gravel from there is fine, but I’m intending to have tropical fish. So can I use media from a cold water tank to ‘seed’ a tropical tank?

I’ve tried to search for the answer online but nothing comes up.

Thanks ?
Yes you can but you don't want to use the gravel from the goldfish tank but use some of the filter material which is where more of the nitrifying bacteria will be. While there will be nitrifying bacteria anywhere in the tank where there is high oxygen levels, the filter is where there is the most aeration so the highest concentration of bacteria. (y)

Back
Top Bottom