Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help choosing fish to stock my new tank?

I have just got a new 400 litre tank,which I have my two gold fish in at the minute (they will be going into another meduim sized tank soon it just needs a new pane of glass in ) when the gold fish are in their new tank we are planning on getting a heater and a better filter (one in now will be going in the smaller tank with the goldfish) and getting some tropical fish. I'm a complete beginner so am finding it difficult to find fish compatable with each other that wont grow too big. I was thinking maybe;
2gouramis
1bristle nose cat fish
2clown loaches
6 harlequin rasboras

I like angelfish but I've read they can become aggressive towards each other and the other fish?

I would love to have one big fish, would the tank be big enough for a parrot fish or not? Sorry about my ignorance I just can't find much usefull info andihave no idea, hence all the research! Feel free to suggest any different fish I'm open to anything so long as they all get on and don't outgrow the tank. Thanks for any advice!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #2

400L is massive, your options are very open.
I dont see a problem with the fish you mentioned the gouramis can be aggressive to each other, and the clown loaches get big but for your tank size would be fine. Really as long you get a decent filter and maintain the water quality you could get a dozen fish in the tank.

On a tank that size i would probably run 2 canister filters and a 300-400w heater.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is a nice big tank and should be able to handle most freshwater fish. your gold fish don't need a heater at all.
I love this sight it gives you lots of info about different fish that they sell
Freshwater Fish: Freshwater Tropical Fish Species for Tropical Fish Tanks

This one is great for letting you know how much you can stock and if the stock you have or like is compatible. AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
Old 10-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #4

If you're looking at bigger fish instead of parrots look into different geophagus species another good one are sevrums as far as some bigger schoolers with them look into rainbow fish, roseline sharks, Odessa barbs, barilius bakeri, larger danios and so on with those fish generally you'd be able to do angels aswell

Tags
fish, new tank, tank, stock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com