Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help completing my tank

I've had my tank for over a month now, and things are going great...even after an initial bout of ick. I've being thinking about how I want to finish stocking the tank (15gal), and I would appreciate some suggestions. I have two cardinal tetras and two cherry barbs, and I would like to get one more type of fish to act as the centrepiece.

It would be nice if it was medium sized (2-4in), preferred the upper water column and was relatively active during the day. My first thoughts were to get a pair of angels, but I'm not sure if I like them or not. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 11-21-2005, 04:02 PM   #2

what size is your tank? tetras and cherry barbs both do well in schools of 6 or more... but if you have a small tank i would have at least 3 of each.
Medium sized fish- Dwarf Gouramis are great and they like to go to the tope becuase they breath air from the surface with their labrynth organ.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think betta's are a good centrepeice.

Bright and elegant and the ones ive seen all stay at the top. Mine likes to think he's boss so drifts about at all areas.

Ha! the second a loach gives him a look he's long gone!
Satsumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:15 PM   #4

Sorry, forgot to mention the tank is a 15gal.

I guess another option I have is to increase the number of tetras to get a school instead of getting another type of fish. Hmmm, choices.

Click here to see my tank!
BrianJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:23 PM   #5

i think in a 15 gallon you have enough room to increas your tetras to a school of 5 and your cherry barbs to a school of 5. OR you could take out the cherry barbs , up the school of tetras and get a centerpiece fish.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:28 PM   #6

Thanks Ashley...some of the Dwarf Gouramislook really nice. I'll check them out at the lfs and see if I like them. Maybe I'll get another tetra and barb too just to round out their numbers at three each.

I hadn't thought about bettas...I thought they were very aggressive? Would bettas be alright with my tetras and barbs?
Old 11-21-2005, 09:32 PM   #7

i would really ... if i was you.. the tetras or barbs would thrive better if you just picked one but they will do ok at 3 each.
Don't know ifyou want to put a betta with its long flowing fins in with barbs.. even though cherry barbs are less nippy, you don't have a very big school and i just don't think they could resist the long flowing fins of a betta.
I think dwarf gouram is a good choice for you.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to zenkatydid Send a message via AIM to zenkatydid Send a message via MSN to zenkatydid
i agree that barbs will nip at the betta. personally i'd get rid of the barbs, up the tetras to 6 and get a gourami. but that's just me

zenkatydid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com