Help! Don’t know what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon tank that’s been fine for a while month I have 1 betta 4 bottom feeders and had 3 guppies. Today one guppy died with part of its tail missing, the others are fine though and suddenly there have been dark brown/black spots that don’t move near the tank and I did a water change around 25% 3-4 weeks ago to remove the algae and nothing will leave it keeps coming back. What should I do? I’m thinking of removing all the fish into a temporary tank and cleaning the whole thing out but I’m not sure I have no plants in it currently either!

We need more information. Can you please tell us what your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels are? Also, your Betta prolly chewed your guppy’s tail.

I currently do not have anything to test the levels and won’t be able to get any for a while is there anything I can do to be able to check the levels? I’m thinking of cleaning the whole tank out and putting the fish in my old 10gal maybe

I'll itemize what I think for you.
1. I change 50% of my aquarium water every week; so, I recommend the same for you.
2. Bettas are solitary fish and like to be kept alone. There are exceptions, but for the most part I recommend just one Betta for a 10 gallon tank.
3. Guppies with long fins and Male Betas are a bad mix.
4. Male Bettas love "live" plants. They like to hide and will even lay within the foliage.
5. Do not just dump the fish in another receptacle and clean the tank out. You will kill any or all beneficial bacteria that exists and it takes a while to get a tank cycled.

Questions:
1. Are you familiar with The Nitrogen Cycle? There is a tutorial somewhere in this forum. I forget where at the moment.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

2. Can you take a picture of the spots? As clear as possible please.
3. Are you planning on purchasing "live" plants? I believe plants help the fish to live longer, healthier lives. But, that is only my opinion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom