Help getting started = 75 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pollex.jaypee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Help getting started = 75 gallon

Hello everyone!
In a few weeks I'll be getting myself a new tank.
Its dimensions are: 48x18x22 (LxWxH). I think it's more or less 75 gallons right?
anyway, PLEASE HELP :oops:
I have absolutely no experience with a tank this big. My two tanks were really small compared to it (a 20gal and a 10gal.)
So what type of filter should I get?
Oh and if you have stocking ideas please suggest it. I'm open to all ideas.

Btw, I'm from a tropical country(Philippines)-if that helps.

P.S. I was thinking of having a planted tank. Though I'm not really that good in aquascaping.
But my real problem regarding a planted tank is that I can't seem to find any bulb that is suitable for the tank. The only thing available in our place is a T8 red/pink-emitting 15-watt bulb. So I'm thinking maybe I could get a bulb from a hardware store?would that be okay?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you!

In my tank, I go to the hardware store and buy a standard 4 foot two bulb shop light. I then determine what I'm going to put in it (plants, driftwood, or nothing) and buy the bulbs accordingly. Some people say this is overkill but I usually get 1 5000k bulb and 1 10,000k bulb

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My tanks look wonderful! The only thing I have not expiremented with his shop lights and salt water!

Yeah! I used the t-8 and yes they're considered daylight. Aside from having the correct amount of light you'll also want to make sure there are other balances in the tank. You will want to start the lights with a 4 hour on 4off and then 4 hour on cycle. This will allow the light to be on in the morning and evening but drastically minimize the risk of algae blooms starting. Plants also really seem to like this cycle.

On another topic (just trying to help) which substrate are you going to use

There will be somewhere on the bulb that says the number in kelvin. So It will say 10000k on it.

I usually recommend dirt capped wth gravel or sand as a substrate. Some people would consider that advanced because you'll have to worry about excess nutrients.

I'm just trying to help make your first planted tank experience a good one so excuse me if I jump around a bit.

Have you thought of fish?

Oh, I'll be considering the fish last. I just want to make it a planted aquarium first, then add the fish in :D
About the bulb, is that just what I have to look for?The kelvin? Thank you again so much for answering!I really appreciate it :)

Don't go out and get a 9 inch pleco before your tank is even cycled. That's what I did, and if you want to keep plants I wouldn't recommend it. Lol the activated sponges from Angels Plus cycled my 75 in 2 days.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The reason I ask about fish ideas is because certain fish are NOT good in a planted aquarium. And yeah, just find 6500-10,000k bulbs. There are also many beginner plants, which are really just plants that don't need high light conditions so they're harder to kill off. If you would like I could find a few articles for you on those?

I don't mind answering the questions! Just wanna cover everything

As for substrate I second the dirt with sand over it. Gravel traps debris and raises nitrates.

As for lights t8 isn't very good for plants, especially in a 75 that's 22" deep, you won't get very good PAR at substrate level. T5 lights get pretty hot, especially if you have them on a glass cover, they can actually heat to the point of cracking glass covers, some thing to think about if you chose active fish that can jump if spooked. I would look into LEDs, they are bright, they don't get hot and they are energy efficient.

As for stocking, some hardy low light plants that I have had luck keeping even as a beginner under the t8 lighting (although it was in a 10 gal that wasn't very deep so the light spectrum reached better than it will in your 75) are java fern, amazon swords, water wisteria, Anubis nana and tiger lotus. I dose liquid carbon, iron and flourish fert as well as root tabs by the swords, lotus and wisteria.

As for fish just make sure you have a clean up crew, some thing like Cory cats to eat stuff off the bottom, Siamese algea eaters to clean plants, pleco or snail to clean the glass. You could also consider some shrimp to filter the debris from the water column flow. But be careful with shrimp they don't like copper in plant ferts.

Everything the above poster says I agree with except for led lighting. I have never had much luck with them. The reason I recommended 10,000k t8 bulbs is because they are a little stronger than the typical t5 6500k so it about equals out. I have used them on custom 8ft tanks, 250 gallons and things deeper than a 75 gallon and they all look great. I don't use c02 either. I've recommended this method of lighting to many people and they all have had good luck. Just make sure your getting a 10,000k bulbs

First off, planted tanks can be so rewarding! I've got most of my tanks planted and it is amazing to watch them. I'm tracking this thread for sure :)

About the stock: Tetras and livebearers tend to do well with plants. Just keep in mind the livebearers will breed (and the fry will take refuge in the plants) if you get males and females. For me, that's not a big deal since I can always return them to the LFS but it might not be possible for you.

The substrate is also something you have to decide on. I go the cheaper path by using dirt with gravel on top, but it can be time consuming to set it up and if the dirt comes above the gravel you have another issue. I've heard of people using other substrates that are like little balls that sink (I think Eco complete is the name of one of them) but those tend to be more expensive. You can also get just plain sand or gravel and use fertilizer. Are you planning on going high tech and using Co2 and ferts or not?

As far as the lights go, it really depends on the plants you want and the depth of the tank. Keep in mind if you want high light, low growing plants a very deep tank is not the right tank.

Is there any way you can get some native fish special to your culture? like the Langarai?

Back
Top Bottom