Help got new tank syndrome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kodzkey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, im new to this site and aquariums all together, anyways i have a 50 gallon tank, and it was all good, till my girlfriend wanted pink gravel, so we emptied out the tank, placed new gravel, and the worst thing, we cleaned out the filter, so now i got 20 fish, all in there already, as i said im new, and the waters all cloudy and stinks because i dont have bacteria to break down the waste, what should i do? i added some nutrafin cycle and waste eliminator, also performed like a 40 pervent water change, the water stoopped stinking, but in 10 minutes it came back.What do i do?, i dont want all my fish to suffer and die.

Did you rinse the new gravel real well? That won't have anything to do with the smell, but it might have something to do with being cloudy. I agree with the pwc's daily, Ruth. Are you using Prime, Kodzkey?

Ruth87 said:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

I think this is a link that may help, Not sure why ur tank is smelly I'm new too but as for things I've read i think ur going to have to do significant water changes at least once a day

Yep, this is the answer. It's gonna send your tank into a major mini-cycle if not close to starting over with that much cleaning and replacing things. This article will be your (and your fishes) best friend for the next few weeks. Good luck!

Reactions: HN1
thanks, yeah my girlfriend rinsed it good, the water looked good for a day then it started looking cloudy and stinking. Im sorry i dont know what prime is...can u tell me plz?

well i do use a dechlorinator, but it wasnt prime, its the nutrafin brand.

my readings have been good for everything, other then the ph level, i need to lower it, whats the best way how?

+1s....

Yep...

img_1366562_0_30a6cebdba18b9252b91c5feab679adb.jpg

plus

img_1366562_1_edf4388b5823d72169a02a68b2ad1f3a.jpg

equals

img_1366562_2_86a7e6d06c5071ccf448d74a0e41548f.jpg

lol was that 1st picture a gravel cleaner or water chage system? and i guess ill have to go get prime.

HN1 said:
+1s....

Yep...

plus

equals

That should be the logo for the site, lol. Classic and 100% true. BTW, thank you for writing what I think is the most important article on the site.

lol was that 1st picture a gravel cleaner or water chage system? and i guess ill have to go get prime.

Yes. It's a "Python" water changer. There are multiple brands. They basically speed and ease water changes. Siphon and a bucket work too, but I go for "lazy" more often than not these days. ;)

That should be the logo for the site, lol. Classic and 100% true. BTW, thank you for writing what I think is the most important article on the site.

TY. If it's helped one person to avoid the mistakes I made with my first tank, it's been more than worth it. You are too kind. There are some incredibly well written articles and stickies here.

Pretty much the same thing. You clean your gravel when you change your water. But the picture was a Python, which is very helpful if you have a big tank. Wish I had one. I have to use 5 gal buckets on my 60 gal tank. Four to five of the 5 gal buckets of water every week! Five buckets out, five buckets in! Whew! But you should see my arms! :lol:

Well thanks for all the input i appreciate it. Looks like theres alot to learn for me. It seems to be better now, the fish seem ok. I put some of a friends gravel from an established aquarium into mine, along with the cycle product and it looks like they should be ok.Ill just have to continue monitoring the water and do water changes whenever needed. The article was great and ill be refering back to it often. Thanks alot.

Back
Top Bottom