Help! I don't know what's going on!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all, I've been cycling my tank for 23 days now, and my ammonia levels refuse to drop. What is the typical time for the ammonia to drop? The weird part is, though, that the nitrites are rising without the ammonia dropping. It's just so odd. My ammonia readings are 4 ppm as always, my nitrites are close to 5 ppm. My pH has dropped a little bit, I am almost sure that is due to the tannins from the mopani wood i put in my tank yesterday. Any tricks/tips on how to speed this thing up? Bacteria in a bottle isn't an option as I am on an extremely tight budget. I'm thinking of adding yet another handful of gravel or two from my cycled 5 gallon.

How high is your ammonia reading? Is it the darkest color on the API chart (if you are using the API kit)? If so, it's possible your ammonia levels are indeed dropping but it's not yet registering on the chart if they were higher than the max level at their peak .

As long as your nitrites are rising, you are building beneficial bacteria and your cycle is moving forward.

What temp is your tank at? Increasing the heat and aeration can speed up the cycle a bit.

What tests are you using, paper strips or liquid?
Have you been rinsing you bio-media in untreated water?

Since you are 20 some-odd days into it try this...
Do PWC to bring the nitrite to 2ppm. Toss in a TINY pinch of fish food and leave it alone for 24 hours. Don't dose any ammonia, 24 hours won't hurt your bio-filter. Do tests after that 24 hours to see where you are at and then dose back up to 2ppm ammonia and wait another 24 hours. Run tests again after that 24 hours and see where you are at.

Now I know you said bacteria in a bottle is not an option, but for like 5 bucks you could get a bottle of stability, it works great. Cause I know you gotta be getting anxious on getting some livestock in that tank of yours. In my experience in keeping fish, I would, and have never waited almost a month to put livestock in my tank. If you put 10ml per 20g of stability in your tank for 7 days straight, you could have fish in your tank within 3 days. Trust me you will be happy.

My ammonia reading is 4.0 ppm. The temperature is 80-81 degrees. I have the water about an inch below the top of the tank and many bubbles are forming. I accidentally rinsed my bio-wheel in untreated water about 2 weeks ago, but I also have bio fibers in the other filter so while it wasn't good, I don't think it was really the end of the world. I am using the API test kit.

Thanks Blert, I'll try that and see where I'm at.

Where does one go to purchase a bottle of stability?

What's your PH exactly? If it's too low (mid-6's or below) it can stall the cycle. As was suggested above I'd do at least a 50% water change to restore minerals and buffers and get the ammonia down a bit and see what happens. You could also bump the heater up to 86 if it's adjustable (if not, don't worry about it). You can try a bacteria starter but those are hit and miss and sometimes won't even work in a fishless cycle; can't hurt to try but don't be crushed if it doesn't work. Most fish stores sell bacteria starters.

Before the water change, my pH was 7.4. After I did the water change it was 7.6. I don't have a heater since it's already so hot outside. I'm planning on getting one in the winter when my house gets down to 68 but for the moment I found a heater unnecessary.

I think I have built up some more bacteria than I give myself credit for. About an hour after the 50% water change, my nitrites were about 1.5-2 ppm. Five hours later, I thought I would test the ammonia because I had forgotten to earlier. While testing, my little sister kept saying "Do the purple one! Do the purple one!" So I tested the nitrite. It was about 3.5-4 ppm. So I may be actually getting somewhere! By the way the ammonia was ~2 ppm.

I would try a couple cheap fish
I would rather wait out the fishless cycle and then be able to stock a very large amount of the fish I really want at once.

The readings are about the same as yesterday, ~2 ppm amm. and between 2 and 5 ppm nitrite. Do I dose the amm. back up to 4 ppm? Do I leave it at 2?

It seems to be about 40 ppm, but my nitrate tests have always been funky. I have gotten that reading every time I've done the test, even in a different tank.

bud29 said:
It seems to be about 40 ppm, but my nitrate tests have always been funky. I have gotten that reading every time I've done the test, even in a different tank.

Have you tested your source water?
Make sure to shake the snot out of that #2 bottle of nitrate test juice, and give it a few good whacks on a table for good measure. Seriously. :)

Today's readings
Amm. 2 ppm
Nitrite off the charts
pH hanging at 7.8 due to tannins

I know that I should do a water change to bring down the nitrites, but what do I bring it down to? And how can the nitrites spike so much without the ammonia dropping at all? Blert and Librarygirl, you have been a huge help so far. Any tips? I really, really want fish. I didn't buy a tank so I could admire my decorations!

And, be honest: at the rate my cycle is going, do you think that my tank will be cycled by August 3rd?

Lol... You just have to wait. If you do a waterchange it will just screw up your cycle. You have to be patient... :) there is no way of telling how long it will take because it takes everyone differant amounts of time!

I do believe I have to do a water change though, because too much nitrite (or ammonia) has an adverse effect on the colonization of bacteria......

Once it turns into nitrates do your huge water change. Until then you have to wait and there is nothing you can do

Doing a water change will not harm or set back your "cycle" in any way. Just do it fast so nothing dries out. It can be helpful to keep the nitrite down to a readable level. Do a large enough water change to get it back on the test color chart. Some folks have also had luck with adding a tiny pinch of fish food to give the bacteria a few more nutrients that they need.
What the nitrate level looking like?

Nitrates around 30 ppm. I will go and add some fish food right now and then if in 24 hours the levels don't change, I will do a pwc. Sound good? Also, after the water change would I dose the ammonia back up to 2 ppm?

I have cycled like 5 tanks without doing water changes i have no clue why you are doing one. I agree with adding an ammonia source, but i wouldnt do a pwc until you have only trates. Do what you want though.

Back
Top Bottom