HELP........I Think!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClassicRocker

Aquarium Advice Regular
FIRST aquarium! Marineland Eclipse Hex 5, 5 gallon Hexagon w/carbon cartridge and BIO Wheel. Highly recommended to us by Petsmart employee. Also have a Mini Heater and Temp Gauge in it.
Anyway, and PLEASE don't criticize (LOL), were doing a fish-in cycle using two Rosy Red Minnows. Read an article about fish-in, talked to local Petsmart worker about it and decided to go with it. These minnows were put in to cycle the tank, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE!I They would go back to Petsmart when we were done with them. They wouldn't be resold. They would be put into a tank in the back room.
So, set-up the tank on the 17th of last month (Jan) w/no fish in. Bought/put the two minnows and a Moss Ball in on the 21st (Jan). Done a 10% water change on the 29th (Jan) and our water perimeter readings were doing fine and the minnows were doing fine. Was told they are "hardy" fish and they are! Swimming around and chasing each other! Took out two artificial plants and added a live one.
Last Sunday, was told by a Petsmart employee, who we've taken sample water to be tested to before, that our tank was now cycled and that we didn't need the minnows anymore. He said, "Vacuum the gravel and add the amount of water taken out by the vac" and Conditioner. So, we took the two minnows out, along with décor, left the plant in, vacuumed the gravel, added two gallons of water, put another live plant in (Fern) and some décor w/Moss Ball and 4 eye dropper drops of Prime. Suppose to be two drops per gallon.
Wife asked me over the phone, "are you putting the minnows back in?" and I told her "no, was told we didn't need them anymore". Well, that turned out to be WRONG!! So, we have the API Test Strips (sorry, getting the Master Kit next) and tested the water yesterday......not to good. Read online about adding a couple of flakes of fish food to continue with building bacteria when fish not present, so did that. After doing that, took a water sample to Petsmart for testing......not to good. Petsmart told me to add 4 more drops of Prime to tank and take the flakes that I could see on the bottom out with a baster. I did that. Now, to this afternoon: Looked at the tank and could see tiny pieces of what appeared to be fish flakes floating around in the tank. Didn't like that! Done a 20% water change w/Conditioner and water looks much better!

So, folks.........WHAT'S NEXT??? Going to test the water later today, tomorrow and Friday before deciding what to do. IOW, buy two or three minnows again or leave the tank alone. I was told that the bacteria that was in there has died, so "leaving it alone" isn't going to do any good. Constantly adding ammonia and water testing to get the water just right isn't necessarily for us either.

FIRST aquarium! Marineland Eclipse Hex 5, 5 gallon Hexagon w/carbon cartridge and BIO Wheel. Highly recommended to us by Petsmart employee. Also have a Mini Heater and Temp Gauge in it.
Anyway, and PLEASE don't criticize (LOL), were doing a fish-in cycle using two Rosy Red Minnows. Read an article about fish-in, talked to local Petsmart worker about it and decided to go with it. These minnows were put in to cycle the tank, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE!I They would go back to Petsmart when we were done with them. They wouldn't be resold. They would be put into a tank in the back room.
So, set-up the tank on the 17th of last month (Jan) w/no fish in. Bought/put the two minnows and a Moss Ball in on the 21st (Jan). Done a 10% water change on the 29th (Jan) and our water perimeter readings were doing fine and the minnows were doing fine. Was told they are "hardy" fish and they are! Swimming around and chasing each other! Took out two artificial plants and added a live one.
Last Sunday, was told by a Petsmart employee, who we've taken sample water to be tested to before, that our tank was now cycled and that we didn't need the minnows anymore. He said, "Vacuum the gravel and add the amount of water taken out by the vac" and Conditioner. So, we took the two minnows out, along with décor, left the plant in, vacuumed the gravel, added two gallons of water, put another live plant in (Fern) and some décor w/Moss Ball and 4 eye dropper drops of Prime. Suppose to be two drops per gallon.
Wife asked me over the phone, "are you putting the minnows back in?" and I told her "no, was told we didn't need them anymore". Well, that turned out to be WRONG!! So, we have the API Test Strips (sorry, getting the Master Kit next) and tested the water yesterday......not to good. Read online about adding a couple of flakes of fish food to continue with building bacteria when fish not present, so did that. After doing that, took a water sample to Petsmart for testing......not to good. Petsmart told me to add 4 more drops of Prime to tank and take the flakes that I could see on the bottom out with a baster. I did that. Now, to this afternoon: Looked at the tank and could see tiny pieces of what appeared to be fish flakes floating around in the tank. Didn't like that! Done a 20% water change w/Conditioner and water looks much better!

So, folks.........WHAT'S NEXT??? Going to test the water later today, tomorrow and Friday before deciding what to do. IOW, buy two or three minnows again or leave the tank alone. I was told that the bacteria that was in there has died, so "leaving it alone" isn't going to do any good. Constantly adding ammonia and water testing to get the water just right isn't necessarily for us either.

What are your stocking intentions once the cycle is complete ?

One male Betta and one or two Ghost Shrimp. The Betta will have the entire 5 gallon tank to himself!

Just do a fish in cycle using the betta then. Wait till you get the API liquid kit first and keep checking water parameters. Feed very very lightly and change 50% water once a week. Ammonia shouldn't build up past 0.25ppm but if it does then change 50% water.

Just do a fish in cycle using the betta then. Wait till you get the API liquid kit first and keep checking water parameters. Feed very very lightly and change 50% water once a week. Ammonia shouldn't build up past 0.25ppm but if it does then change 50% water.

No don't use the betta. Bettas can be delicate. Stick to the rosy reds

Sorry, but that is what these minnows are basically used for.......cycling and feeding to ducks and turtles. Some do keep them as fish pets, but not us. The Rosy Red's are a much "hardy" fish than a Betta is. MUST agree with the reply saying "stick with the Rosy Reds", but then again, also read that Zebra Danio's are great for cycling as well.

Done correctly there is no reason for the betta to come to any harm.

Ok, here are the very latest few minutes ago......6:05PM Wednesday night) water perimeters from testing with the API Strips here at home (remember, no fish now):

Nitrate: between 80 and 160
Nitrite: 10
pH: 7.5
Ammonia: 0.5
(hope our eyes are comparing the strips with the color code on the container right)

What are these numbers mean
huh.gif
?
Should we put a pinch of flakes in the tank or leave it alone until Friday when we decide what we will do (fish flake or buy two more minnows). Will do a couple more water tests before Friday to see how the water is doing.
Thanks!

Sorry, but that is what these minnows are basically used for.......cycling and feeding to ducks and turtles. Some do keep them as fish pets, but not us. The Rosy Red's are a much "hardy" fish than a Betta is. MUST agree with the reply saying "stick with the Rosy Reds", but then again, also read that Zebra Danio's are great for cycling as well.

Thank you. Bettas can be delicate and I would never use one for a cycle. If I do a fish In cycle I use feeders

Ok, here are the very latest few minutes ago......6:05PM Wednesday night) water perimeters from testing with the API Strips here at home:

(hope our eyes are comparing the strips with the color code on the container right)

huh.gif
?
Should we put a pinch of flakes in the tank or leave it alone until Friday when we decide what we will do (fish flake or buy two more minnows). Will do a couple more water tests before Friday to see how the water is doing.
Thanks!

Okay the strips are faulty. They give false readings. I would go and buy the API master test kit and retest ASAP

Ok, here we go.........two other Repliers in other fish forums told me that the cycling is coming along fine and the strips readings are good. Will still get the Master Kit on Friday and get two more minnows as well.

Okay the strips are faulty. They give false readings. I would go and buy the API master test kit and retest ASAP

Ok, here we go.........two other Repliers in other fish forums told me that the cycling is coming along fine and the strips readings are good. Will still get the Master Kit on Friday and get two more minnows as well.

Good deal. These paper strips do give false readings

I would put some zebra danios they are very hardy fishes do water changes but leave the gravel alone

If you are having to use "hardy" fish for a fish-in cycle you are doing it WRONG! Read up on how to properly do a fish in cycle before you put any fish in your tank. Just because a minnow can tolerate getting it's gills fried by ammonia does not mean you should let it, especially if there is a way to not harm it. Here is a good article on fish-in if you are committed to doing it right. If not, please just do a fish-less cycle.
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

BTW if you want to speed up your cycle, get some seeded (dirty) media. That will boost your starting bacteria population tons! :) (you do risk introducing any disease that was in the tank though so you might wait a week or two anyway)

Thursday 7:45AM: Just checked the water perimeters with API Strips and the readings haven't changed from last night! Same as below.

We were told by a forum Reply to crush up a piece of fish flake last night and put into tank and we did. Now, this morning, I had a Reply that told me to take any pieces of fish flake out of the tank that I could see. Did that.
Anyone know how CONFUSING/FRUSTRATING it can be when a NEW person gets two replies and they differ like this? And, people on forums want to complain about the advice given by employees at Petsmart, etc.???

Anyway, looks like we will be getting two more minnows. Had Rosy Red's last time, but read that Zebra Danio's can handle the cycling as well.
Wondering.....put in two minnows like last time, or put in three this time? BTW, it's a 5 gallon aquarium. Will also buy some TSS and use it.

Wife is now helping me with comparing the test strips to the color coding chart on the strips container. At our age, 2 sets of eyes are better than one set! LOL, but true!

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater- aquarium/need-help-349409/page4/#ixzz2tD0onr77

Ok, here are the very latest few minutes ago......6:05PM Wednesday night) water perimeters from testing with the API Strips here at home (remember, no fish now):

huh.gif
?
Thanks!

Below was told me by a forum member. Does it sound ok? I mean, for those that aren't against fish-in cycling, that is.

"In this case if you going to finish the cycle with the 2 minnows i would suggest you do 50% water change to reduce the nirites and nitrAtes, then wait 24 hours for the water conditioner to ware off (really not less then 24 hours). Add Tetra Safe Start (small bottle is enough for your tank, put it all in you can't overdose) shake the bottle very well before adding, and head to the LFS to get the fish.

Then don't touch the tank for 2 weeks, and feed moderately.

I believe its the simplest way to go that will cause you less trouble"

Now I being told (different forum) that due to the bioload, I should buy/put the Betta into the tank after adding the TSS. Sound right? Because of this "bioload" thing, it's NOT recommended to put the minnows in, later (once tank is cycled) take them out and put the Betta in. The "bioload" would be use to the Betta and the TSS would protect the Betta from anything harmful in the tank.

Does this sound right?

Was going to use minnows until I read this person's reply to us. But, want to make sure what she wrote is correct.

Now I being told (different forum) that due to the bioload, I should buy/put the Betta into the tank after adding the TSS. Sound right? Because of this "bioload" thing, it's NOT recommended to put the minnows in, later (once tank is cycled) take them out and put the Betta in. The "bioload" would be use to the Betta and the TSS would protect the Betta from anything harmful in the tank.

Does this sound right?

Was going to use minnows until I read this person's reply to us. But, want to make sure what she wrote is correct.

To be honest I can't help you if your getting counter advice on what I'm saying. I have given you my advice. Cycle with the minnows and you will be safe. I read a few of the comments on your other forum and they are full of poo. Your tank is cycling so be paitent with the minnows. I have never used tetra safe start. I always do my fishless cycles fishless to protect harm coming to living fish.

Back
Top Bottom