Help --- ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ollyj

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I have just noticed that one of my fish has small White dots on it, the fish does not seem to bothered but when I googled it I found it could be ich I think it's called, is there anyway I can make this go away an help my fish? I have not had fish for very long so I am still learning.....

Thanks

Thanks, would you recommend a on oxygen pump for the tank? I notice one of my fish tends to hang around the top of water lately....

For treating ick you need to raise the water temp to 86* F. The warmer the water the faster it burns off the O2 in the water. Which is why an air stone is necessary.
Also pick up some API Aquarium Salt. The ick hate salt and it helps the fish breath a little easier. You'll need 1 Tablespoon of API Salt for every 5g of water. Keep the temp up for 2 weeks and every time you do a PWC replace the salt. If you change out 20g of water, then you need to add 4 Tablespoons of API Salt.

Yes I agree. Heat + Salt kills Ich. Plus it's cheaper than medicine..Make sure that when you add the salt you add a bit at a time in case your fish react negatively to the salt and can't tolerate it..

Yes I agree. Heat + Salt kills Ich. Plus it's cheaper than medicine..Make sure that when you add the salt you add a bit at a time in case your fish react negatively to the salt and can't tolerate it..

It isn't so much that it is cheaper but the salt and heat is usually more gentle than most medications.
As with everything else there are always exceptions.
One way to find out about your fishes tolerance to salt would be to give each one an individual salt bath. It's a quick 5 min. dip and it does make the fish breath easier. And that way you don't need to add salt to the entire tank, in case one of them does turn out to be sensitive.

One more thing? Is the tank cycled? Usually, fish get ich in new tanks when water parameters had gone bad. Before treating for ich, you need to correct water parameters. <Test water & do pwc's as needed.>

Hey

Thank for all the help :)

What is the best way of going about a water change? Take fish out? Leave fish in? Change all the water or just some?

Thanks

It is too stressful to take fish out for pwc"s. Unless you have a tank emergency, you don't need to change all the water, so we normally do partial water changes.

You take out up to half the water, leaving everything in the tank. Refill with dechlorinated water (temp & parameter matched of course) & you are done.

Back
Top Bottom