Help - location of a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

authorize

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I have a question. The location where I intend to put my tank is in front of a window. Only the top half of the tank will come in contact with the window. Will this create any problems? My window does have blinds, which I can keep closed during the daytime. I only need it opened during the night, so I can get some morning sunlight. I can also keep the windows closed. This location is also in between 2 doors. 1 door leading to the garage, and the other leading to the living room. Human traffic isn't too heavy. Will this create a problem, too? I do intend to get a background. Everyone's assistance is greatly appreciated! Thanks! :cool:

Only thing I can think of would be direct sunlight. If your tank gets direct sunlight often you will have algae issues. Also, you say its in between two doors, make sure the door knobs won't hit the tank! I don't think human traffic will cause any problems. They will most likely just think they are being fed.

+1 with everything on there lol, just depending on the tank get a common pleco.... or get a bristle nose pleco if its a smaller tank to help keep the algea in check.

With direct sun light I doubt if a pleco will be able to keep up with all the algae. In addition to the algae you have to consider the temperature in the summer it will be hotter and in the winter cooler. You might have to install some type of fan in the light.

When deciding where to put a tank I will put the tank up empty for several days and see how the traffic is diverted around it and how easy it is for watching.

Algae needs two things to grow. Light and Nutrients. If you don't have excess nutrients in the water, then the algae won't have an large enough food source to flourish. I say not to worry about the light's effect on algae growth and to outcompete the alage with plants. The plants will love the direct sunlight.

I would be more worried about the temperature than the algae. You could get some sort of algae eater and some ghost shrimp or snails to counteract the algae growth. I would do what joy13 said, but I would fill it with water and temp the water everyday to see what ranges you get, that'll be able to tell you if it's safe to be in front of the window and you'll know when to have your heater on and off.

Make sure the tank can't be hit with the doors, door knobs, or anything that is normally brought through them. Seems like a basic issue but......I have kids and.....they have friends and.... nuff said.

I think the light issue can be easily solved using the blinds. Temp. depends on where you live ... We never get too hot even next to a window in summer <and the blinds will cut down a lot of the heat from green house effect of the window.>, a bit of heat just means the heater has to work less ... but if you are in Florida, that's might be a different story.

I think traffic may be more of a problem, and also structural strength of the floor if you are looking at a big tank (over 50 gal). It is a good idea to put up the tank empty to see if it cause too much problem with people & things bumping into it. Most fish won't mind traffic too much, although some shy fish might hide too much for you to enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom