Help me right my wrong!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PepperidgeFarms

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, so a number of months ago I bought a betta and have had him in a 2 gallon bowl. I know that's not a good set up so I was able to now buy a 16 gallon tank today and want to do this properly instead.

First off, am I better off continuing with the daily water changes and doing a fishless tank cycle in the new tank? I can't imagine he will create enough waste to really make a big difference in the cycling process of the new one and I think it would be better this way for him but what are my options and your opinions on that?
Also do I put the sand/gravel in before I start cycling?

In a dream world I'd like to learn how to do live aquarium plants but I have absolutely 0 knowledge on that so I guess just one step at a time. Would I need special substrate for that though?

And finally (for now) I'm hoping to set up a community tank. I know 16 gallons isn't crazy big so how many/what kinds of fish could I put in there keeping in mind that I have the betta as well?

Any help would be great! Thanks!

yes you should have your substrate in your tank when you cycle it, sand or gravel have different pros and cons. Gravel has cracks so food and fecal matter can slip in the cracks however it's relatively easier to maintain, sand food and fecal stays on the top surface making it easier to get it out of the tank but you have to watch for gas pockets as they can carry harmful gases over time and if opened could kill your fish plus you have to thoroughly rinse sand before adding to your tank or you'll be cleaning your filter of sand for several weeks. Either one gives more places for beneficial bacteria to live and no you don't need special substrate. Personally I don't do fishless cycling I use seachem prime to dechlorinate the water and Seachem Stability to add beneficial bacteria to the tank and monitor ammonia levels 2-3 times a day, and doing a water change when they reach .50ppm or higher. I suggest using very hardy fish for this as they can withstand the changes in parameters. when I cycled my 20 gallon tank I used a platy pair and 5 emerald green corydoras. Since you want a betta in your tank I'd suggest bottom dwellers that way they don't bother him and he won't bother them though it really depends on the betta's personalty. you can try a small school of ember tetras or Harlequin rasboras if you want schooling fish. I hope what I said helps, good luck.

Thanks, what kind of combinations of fish can I get to go with the betta? I'm also considering shrimp as well but I really haven't the slightest clue what kinds of creatures can humanely fit in the tank

well first thing you need to know is if your betta aggressive or mellow. Thats the biggest factor in tankmates imo. I had a very mellow betta but when I put a platy in his tank he was not very comfy at all. instead of hanging out at the top of the tank greeting me everytime I came near the tank he'd sit at the bottom of the tank and it was harder to feed him cause the platy needed to be distracted when I wanted to feed him. you can easily put shrimp in but beware your betta may eat them. Check out aqadvisor.com it's not a bible to how to stock a tank but you can use it to get ideas. Have you bought a filter and heater yet for your tank? I recommend an aquaclear 20 filter (put it on the lowest setting bettas don't like strong currents and a 50 - 75 watt heater) I suggest keeping your tank at 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit. Bettas love warm water so get other tankmates that enjoy warm water too, aqadvisor will let you know if there's a conflict.

Shrimp need a cycled stable tank so wait for a couple months after getting it cycled to make sure it stays stable, and test to be sure. No need to spend money and kill them if the tank isn't ready.

Let the tank cycle with just the Betta, it is the way from the old days to get a small load and just ease into the cycle. Adding Dr. Tim's or other fresh in date top rated bacteria product can help. Some do not because they do not have the same bacteria you will need long term, as it has been explained...

Only add additional fish if you really think you want to keep them long term.

Adding any fish with out a quarantine (QT) can add peril to the existing fish friend (your present Betta) as sickness and stress can pop up all kinds of bad stuff.

You can get plants which are easy ones any time now.

Like Java Fern and Anubias they both attach to a DW (driftwood or stone) as they can't have their rhizome planted under the substrate. Their roots can grow into the substrate though.

These work with low to medium light and will / should, grow very well for you with no fancy stuff needed. Looks like you have a good tank set up though. The Java Fern doesn't like too too bright light and might prefer a spot slightly off the brightest, light (not directly under it maybe. I am not specifically familiar with the light for that tank. Just a heads up as Fluval can make some good lighting.

How long do you think it would take to cycle with just the betta? And would I still have to do daily partial water changes then?

You would need to test frequently.

Have any friends with healthy tanks who would give you some media to help get it going?

There are more days of testing than needing to do pwc. But when it is pwc time you need to do them if the Betta is in the tank. Did you get to read the articles about fish in cycling? Since it is ONE fish, a Betta, you might be able to keep him in a couple gallon container and cycle the larger tank and just do say 2x per week a gallon pwc, would not ruin the Bettas life for a temporary home and save you a huge amount of work.

An additional option is to put a cycled sponge filter from a store such as Angels Plus online. I have heard many positive reports about them and I don't personally know of any other sources...

For tank mates I’ve heard snails work too. If you want shrimp, I’d check out some ghost shrimp. They are translucent so the bright colors wouldn’t bother your betta. Just try not to do anything with long flowing fins. Hope this helps you!!

Thanks. I think I've discovered what I want (assuming the betta is ok with it) but
X1 betta
X8 celestial pearl Danios
X6 panda cories

From what I've read the Danios are extremely shy so I feel like they'll respect the bettas space, and the cories just stay at the bottom and will leave him alone.

Am i on the right track or do I need to adjust still?

Back
Top Bottom