Help me stock my 10 gallon tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrhelton

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi

I'm currently cycling my second tank, a 10 gallon FW tank. I planned to use it to breed cherry shrimp, but I don't really have anything to do with all the babies, and it would be cruel to let them die, so I decided to have a second fishtank instead.

My 29 gallon has zebra danio, rainbowfish, black skirts, bloodfins, dalmation mollies, and a pleco (which will be moved to my 120 once I get it). I prefer to try a different kind of fish.

Any suggestions for a stock list of cool fish that aren't too hard to care for? This is only my second "real" tank (my other 2 before these were complete failures that I didn't maintain or research).

For substrate I have white pool filter sand and plan to heavily plant the tank as well as add a small piece of driftwood. (I'm using the old 20w 6700k light from my 29 gallon that I just upgraded to 48w)

I don't have a heater at the moment, so the tank sits around 71, but I will probably get a 50 watt heater if not having one greatly limits my options.

EDIT: I didn't use any kind of fertilizer under the sand. Do I need to use root tabs or is flourish enough to make the plants thrive? I'm not planning to use CO2.

Last edited:
mrhelton said:
Hi

I'm currently cycling my second tank, a 10 gallon FW tank. I planned to use it to breed cherry shrimp, but I don't really have anything to do with all the babies, and it would be cruel to let them die, so I decided to have a second fishtank instead.

My 29 gallon has zebra danio, rainbowfish, black skirts, bloodfins, dalmation mollies, and a pleco (which will be moved to my 120 once I get it). I prefer to try a different kind of fish.

Any suggestions for a stock list of cool fish that aren't too hard to care for? This is only my second "real" tank (my other 2 before these were complete failures that I didn't maintain or research).

For substrate I have white pool filter sand and plan to heavily plant the tank as well as add a small piece of driftwood. (I'm using the old 20w 6700k light from my 29 gallon that I just upgraded to 48w)

I don't have a heater at the moment, so the tank sits around 71, but I will probably get a 50 watt heater if not having one greatly limits my options.

EDIT: I didn't use any kind of fertilizer under the sand. Do I need to use root tabs or is flourish enough to make the plants thrive? I'm not planning to use CO2.

I would get the heater. IMO a must buy for a 71 degree tank. 50 watts would be great.

Glad you are researching tanks now! So many people rely on the LFS for info.

I'm not really a plant expert. Sorry :p

You could go with a dwarf gourami, some neon tetras, a few guppies, platies, or ADFs. Just brainstorming. Not all of those in one tank, they would just be compatible :)

Killifish would be an interesting fish to have in there! There are some other shrimp that'd do good in there without a heater! Such as crs, tiger shrimp, and a bunch others. Also there are CPOs that are dwarf orange crayfish that'd be sweet! For some fish just give me a minute I'll get a few links for you!

You know what? I actually think I would like to try a Betta. I've always thought they were pretty lame, but suddenly they seem so interesting and cool looking. I've only barely started researching them, but it seems 10 gallons is enough for a single betta. Can I put anything else in there with her? Possibly a mystery snail or something like that?

I'll probably buy it at Petsmart. How will I know if I have a female, or should I get a male? I've read that males are pretty aggressive, but if they're a lot cooler then I can always keep him in there alone.

Tell me about Bettas!

mrhelton said:
You know what? I actually think I would like to try a Betta. I've always thought they were pretty lame, but suddenly they seem so interesting and cool looking. I've only barely started researching them, but it seems 10 gallons is enough for a single betta. Can I put anything else in there with her? Possibly a mystery snail or something like that?

I'll probably buy it at Petsmart. How will I know if I have a female, or should I get a male? I've read that males are pretty aggressive, but if they're a lot cooler then I can always keep him in there alone.

Tell me about Bettas!

Females have much smaller fins and can be much nicer than males. I have 2 bettas currently one is in a 5 gallon by himself and the other is in a 13 gallon community with 3 endlers, 1 platy, 4 peppered cories (soon to be moved to 55 gallon) and one apple snail. It all really depends on the one that you get. I love my betta that is friendly but my other one is mean, and flares at me ALL the time! I would get another one if I had an extra tank. I love them and they have some really cool colors too!

Also if the tank isn't too small, I hear females can be kept together. There will probably still be a little bit of aggression, but not like it would be with male bettas.

Nice I think I'm gonna head out to the pet store and get a little heater and a few plants to get the tank started. I'll look at all the Bettas and see if I can find one I like so I'll know what to get when the tank is ready. I'll probably just get a male and maybe a snail.

You should only keep female bettas in groups of 6 or so to spread out aggression, making a 10g unfeasible. Also, bettas with shrimp are hit and miss. Some will hunt your shrimp, some will let them be.

mrhelton said:
Nice I think I'm gonna head out to the pet store and get a little heater and a few plants to get the tank started. I'll look at all the Bettas and see if I can find one I like so I'll know what to get when the tank is ready. I'll probably just get a male and maybe a snail.

Cool! My betta in my community tank loves the plants I have. Good luck! And post pictures:)

1 bolivian ram and a small school of something, tetras would probably be best ( not neon tetras because they arent as hardy )

I'm not really sure what kinds are available, but I did a little bit of topic searching and I like the blue ones and the white ones best. I'll definitely post some pictures once I get the tank up and running!

mrhelton said:
I'm not really sure what kinds are available, but I did a little bit of topic searching and I like the blue ones and the white ones best. I'll definitely post some pictures once I get the tank up and running!

Cool! There are many different fin varietys.... Crowntails, Halfmoons, Double Tail Halfmoons, Kings, and veiled.

I LOVED my beta. He is what started my fish obsession! I had a halfmoon, orange. His name was bevo!

How big do they get? Will he eventually grow out of the 10 gallon? I don't see myself dedicating any larger of a tank to a single fish.

Nice. I really can't wait to get one. I'm gonna visit Petsmart and my lfs and see which one has the coolest looking one, then will see if I can get them to hold it for me (petsmart probably won't, but I know my lfs will)

Petco has actually had some really cool bettas recently!
And you could put a school of pygmy cories in with the betta if you wanted to. :)

Back
Top Bottom