Help. My dh's Cichlids are ill and he is out of town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessica36

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok I will try to answer all the questions

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the beset of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
They are Cichlids, Oscars, chocolate, and Turquoise something, sorry I don't know the name for sure. Also have Pleco's and a Pike in the tank. look like pustules on some. wound with string and large white type spots, doesn't look like ich.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Temp 82
Nitrates = purple, test card missing, sorry
PH 6
High PH 7.4
ammonia 1 less then 0
Ammonia 2 little red, tank stinks

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
125, it has been up for months.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Ok this will be no help but one canister and bio-wheel something.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?
Quick count at least 14 ranging from 3 in long to about 5-10 in.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
DH did one last weekend about 1/4 to 1/3 a tank. at least once a week.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
at least 4-7 mo

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Can't help there, set up looks the same.....

The sore has been there about a week. I asked dh about it on Monday he said don't worry. But it is way worse. I am heading to our local fish store and bring a water sample also. But any help would be great.

Forgot to add there are about 5 fish with it now!

Jessica

Welcome to AA, jessica36. :D

First, I would check that the filters are working - is there water current coming out of the cannister filter return line? Is the biowheel turning? Are the intakes obstructed?

Second, is there anything dead in the tank? If so, net it and remove.

Do a 1/3 water change to get that ammonia down. Then, I would cut back on the feedings and do 25% water changes every other day until your husband gets back. That will continue to lower the ammonia, dissolved organics, and the fish' stress levels. Cichlids are pretty resilient, and their own immune systems can take care of most problems, so long as their environment is kept immaculate.

Back
Top Bottom