Help my fish are dyeing !!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rono11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HELP MY FISH ARE DYEING !!!!!I am new in this fish thing never had aquarium before.I have a 10g aquarium. I set it up about a month ago. I did every week like 25% water change. at the 4th week i change the water and filter.That time i a had 3 gold fish 1 alga eater and 1 green catfish.After i changed the water and filter one of my gold fish died. I check the water ammonia level was 4. I did 25% water change every day, but ammonia level has not changed, and i lost all gold fish and the alga eater.I put my green catfish to the bowl. Change the %80 water and ammonia level went down 0.5 After 5 days i put my green catfish back to the tank and bought 2 tiger barb (yesterday) I fin the 2 tiger barb today morning dead ( monday). The wasn't eve alive in my fish tank for a day. I checked my ammonia still 0.5 every other like PH 7.5 nitrite nitrate are 0. Temperature 82F, and i useing conditioner as well as top coat.
What is wrong??? What to do???

Your tank is not cycled. Goldfish creatmassive amounts of waste and are not suitable for for a 10 gallon ta nk. Three goldfish probably need a 30 gallon minimum to start and then get moved to a 55 as they grow. They's also cold water fish, so and 82 degree tank is way too hot for goldfish. It's also on the warm side for cory cats and otos as well as they are cool water tropical, prefering the mid to low 70's.

When you changed out your filter, you got rid of the home for all your beneficial nitrifying bacteria. They live in the filter screens and media. If you replaced them or washed them in tap water, you are back to starting over with your tank cycle.

Im sorry to hear that

Do more research so you can find the reason why it's happening in your tank. There's something that you've missed along the way for sure... I have also a 10g tank and started it a month ago too, and so far, so good...my 5 gold fishes are fine and happy...i do 50% water change each week and add some aquarium salt on top of the water conditioner...i upgraded my filtration from internal filter to an HOB Fluval C2 and things just get better..stable water chem, cleaner and clearer water, happier fishes..Good Luck to you!

Minimum tank size for housing a goldfish is 30g for the first and an additional 10g for each extra godly. A 10g is far too small for any goldfish species and way too small for some of the common goodies which should grow to a foot long or more.

The reason your fish are dying though is the ammonia level. You need to do a 50% water change every time you get an ammonia reading above 0.25ppm. Anything higher than .5ppm is getting toxic to fish.

As it stands you will need to do 4 50% water changes waiting 1 hour inbetween to get your ammonia level where it should be. Follow that up with 50% water change whenever you get a .5ppm ammonia level or higher. Once the tank recycles then do 1 - 2 50% weekly water changes.

My suggestion is to rehome any remaining fish and get fish that are suitable for a 10g tank.

Thank you
I have left only 1 green cat fish , and 3 1" yoyo fish ( i guess that's the name of the fish i got them)
Should i put them different tank meanwhile i change the water?
Also my tap water has ammonia but my fridge water has not. Should i go with the fridge water ( of course i will let it warm up)

Thank you
I have left only 1 green cat fish , and 3 1" yoyo fish ( i guess that's the name of the fish i got them)
Also my tap water has ammonia but my fridge water has not. Should i go with the fridge water ( of course i will let it warm up)

Thank you

For now until your tank is cycled I would suggest using the fridge water, just make sure it's the same temp as the tank.

Also, like was said, don't ever change your filter media unless it's literally falling apart.

Thank you for your all helpful advice.
Just double check make sure i got everything. SO with fish in the tank do %50 off water change today for 4 times? ( sorry i really new in his fish thing )

Thank you for your all helpful advice.
Just double check make sure i got everything. SO with fish in the tank do %50 off water change today for 4 times? ( sorry i really new in his fish thing )

You need to do 50% water changes every few hours until your tank ammonia level is at .25ppm. Your tank can't get lower than your source water solely because of water changes though so keep that in mind.

OP its basic maths. If you have an ammonia reading of lets say 2ppm and you do one 50% water change. You are removing half of the water containing the ammonia and diluting the remaining water with the fresh. So your ammonia will be 1ppm.
This is still too high. So another 50% change, will half the ammonia reading again. It will become .5ppm. Still too high.
Another 50% change brings it to .25ppm
I think you get the drift by now lol

Its hard to get it back under control but once your back at safe levels its not too hard to keep it under control

I did change 50% but the ammonia level still same not the half of it. math here or there :-(

Why did you get new fish (the tiger barbs) when you knew there was something wrong with your tank? You're just chucking money down the drain! ;o

i got those fish....as well i got the yoyos. i bought only 2 gold fish which are in the haven

imo a 10g should not be used for anything larger than nano specific fish.. or inverts.

Your tank is overstocked and chances are you are overfeeding. You should cut feeding to once every 3-4 days and keep it light. not food should be hitting the bottom and your fish should eat it within a 2-3 min period.

You need to also do A LOT more research about nitrogen cycle and the specific care for the fish BEFORE you buy them. Unless of course you enjoy torturing fish to death.

yesterday my ammonia went down to 0, but today 0.25 and nitrate 5.00
is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom