Help. My Platys thrive but all else die.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onlyt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My aquarium has been up for three months. Three Platys are doing very well but everything else I add dies. I tried guppies and cory cats. I test water and all is fine, the PH is a little high 8.0 but I added PH down. I do regular water changes/cleanings.

Sudden change in pH is my diagnosis.

Your pH is fine. If it is going above 8.5 then you might have a problem. To solve that: add Peat Moss in a mesh bag to your filter or add some driftwood to the tank. These naturally lower the pH. Chemicals only temporarily buffer it causing you to add more and more which hurts the fish with constantly changing parameters.

Caleb

This thread was taken a bit more in fepth on a different sub forum. In the future please don't make multiple threads on the same subject.

The pH is fine. Generally fish will adjust to the pH level that the water is at so it's best just not to change it unless it's a huge problem.

As for the cory cat deaths...
How many have you had at one time? They need groups of 6+
What is your substrate? Cory cats need soft sand so they don't hurt their stomachs or barbels.
Were they getting enough food? Cory cats don't eat food like regular fish do. They eat scraps and food that sinks to the bottom, and won't eat flakes and floating food.

As for the guppy deaths...
I'm not really sure about this one. Were the platies getting all of the food before the guppies could get to it? They're not as aggressive for food as platies are.

Back
Top Bottom