Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Unhappy Help my tank appears to be deathly

Hey guys,
I have a 7 month old, 6 gallon tank which I decided to start aquascaping on about 3 months ago. I took off my fish and moved them to another tank in order to be on the safe side. On the 6 gallon tank I have a Finnex PX 360 filter, since my plants weren't doing so great I updated my lighting to a retrofit Metal Halide light and the plants are awesome and healthy; however, I developed both hair algae and my water turns brown within a couple of hrs of doing a water change. To try and combat the free floating algae I installed 4 days ago a CORALIFE TURBO TWIST 3X 9 W UV Sterilizer and a Pacific Coast CL-85 Nano Thermal Chiller/Heater so the temperature would not fluctuate too much because of the high amount of light. I have been testing the water regularly using API master test kit and doing 20% weekly water change. My parameters are as follow:
pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Temp: 73-74įF
Last night I introduced one of my black mollies to the tank and this morning it was dead, I tested my water again everything checked out like usual so I put one of my tetras in and it was fine for about 3 minutes and then started going to the surface gasping for air and turning vertically. Needless to say I took her out and she is happily swimming in my other tank. I really don't know what the heck is going on. Someone please help.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What's the current stock of the tank?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah..sadly that sounds like exactly what happened to most of the fish i stocked my tank with yesterday... they were all going to the top so i figured it was a lack of oxygen so i went out and got an air pump but that didnt help at all. all of the chemicals checked out fine before i added the fish but i had a huge ph and nitrate spike after adding them...im going to try a 50% water change to see if i can save the three that didnt die off..if anyone has any advice for us please help....i have african cichlids in my tank...a auratus and a jewel cichlid are still alive along with the pleco. everyone else didnt make it.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is there any chance of chemicals getting in the tank? What kind of testing are you using (liquid or strips)?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

none. I have nothing but my plants in it.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

How are you testing your water? (liquid or strips)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

no chemicals in the tank, no way of contamination since I don't directly introduce the testing vials into the tank. I use the liquid test kit which I have been told is more acurate.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

yep same here api liquid test kit..no i dont think i got test chemicals into the tank because i usually add them away from the tank. i just did a big water change so ill see how it goes.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question

Did 100% water change yesterday, decided to cycle the whole tank again and added some good bacteria since nothing I was doing to it was solving the problem, lets hope that fixes it. Is there anything that tests oxygen level in aquariums?

Tags
dead fish, eat, tan, tank trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com