Help needed for a Newbie...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GIES2525

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive been reading up on fishless cycling(even though ive already done it, i THINK) because the way i was told to do it was a little different then the way they explain in here. But All my 8 fish are doing really good, and seem to be getting along very well in the tank. I have a 37 gallon Square tank, and i have one Ballon Molly(I think he is looking for more that look like him, so i think i need to buy a couple more?) Three X_RAY Tetras, two other Tetras with red fins(i had three but one just miraculously dissapeared?) And a black Shark with just one orange back fin.(i forgot what he was called, i need to know that to?) But they all seem very happy. The big question i have is, there is fish store two minutes from me, where i go in and talk to the guy that owns it almost everyday about what is going on with my tank. I believe he is a very credible source considering he has been there 15+ years, and his store is dedicted entirely to fish. I have him test my water about once a week, and he tells me that everything is fine so far. Is that enough? He knows if my water is bad or not better then i do. And he does it for FREE, which is the big thing.
Also, i have had the tank for about four weeks now, and just put the fish in about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Am i going to fast? I have a very impatient 24 month old that was really wondering why she couldnt ever find the hiding fish me and mommy told her were in there? lol And the guy at the store tested my water before we got the fish(at his store) to make sure it was ok to start buying fish.

I would ask him what the exact water parameters are that he is testing, and ask him to show you the results as he tests the water. Ask for:

PH
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates

This will help you understand exactly what's going on, and it will give us a little more information so we can better assist you.

IMO 4 weeks sounds like its possible that a fishless cycle is complete.

Back
Top Bottom