Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

help! new tank advice

Hi I set up our 60L biorb tank a month ago now. Added fish after a few days only 3 platys. Until now its been fine no ammonia but really high nitrite results for the last week. I keep doing water changes to keep the fish happy (and alive) and adding cycle, is this a new tank nitrite spike? And if so how long is it likely to last?

Old 01-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

IT CAN LAST FOR WEEKS, YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO TEST EVERYDAY. DAILY WATER CHANGES ETC. STAY ON TOP OF IT.. YOUR GOING TO BE BUSY. KEEP AMMONIA, NITRITE, NITRATE LEVELS AS LOW AS YOU CAN.Important Information for those new to the Aquarium Hobby

GOOD LUCK

Old 01-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What is the product that you are adding? It's really hard to predict how long a cycle will last...it can take 4-6 weeks (or more) to completely cycle a new tank but with your low bioload, it should not be too difficult to keep your water parameters under control. Since any Ammonia or nitrite readings over .25ppm can stress your fish, keep testing every day and keep up with those daily partial water changes.

Check out my 50 Gallon Build
Coleallensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Using nutrafin cycle. Ok sorted. Also what percentage water change is best. Guide says 20% but I've read loads of different things about which is best. Cheers for advice
Old 02-02-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Change enough water to get you ammonia and nitrite under 0.25.
I was changing 50% , waiting an hour, changing 50%, and again after another hour. I was doing this every day, and by the next morning my levels will be sky high.
I have heard that changing the water can stress the fish, but mine seemed quite happy with it, and seemed very interested in the plastic jug I use for scooping water out
Even if the change does stress the fish out, it'll still be less than the stress they'll feel with high ammonia/nitrite.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
Planted Tank Enthusiast

+1 Good Advice Fishies. Start with the 50% and see how that helps.

Check out my 50 Gallon Build
Coleallensmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com