help! new tank advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nagoya ragon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I set up our 60L biorb tank a month ago now. Added fish after a few days only 3 platys. Until now its been fine no ammonia but really high nitrite results for the last week. I keep doing water changes to keep the fish happy (and alive) and adding cycle, is this a new tank nitrite spike? And if so how long is it likely to last?

What is the product that you are adding? It's really hard to predict how long a cycle will last...it can take 4-6 weeks (or more) to completely cycle a new tank but with your low bioload, it should not be too difficult to keep your water parameters under control. Since any Ammonia or nitrite readings over .25ppm can stress your fish, keep testing every day and keep up with those daily partial water changes.

Using nutrafin cycle. Ok sorted. Also what percentage water change is best. Guide says 20% but I've read loads of different things about which is best. Cheers for advice

Change enough water to get you ammonia and nitrite under 0.25.
I was changing 50% , waiting an hour, changing 50%, and again after another hour. I was doing this every day, and by the next morning my levels will be sky high.
I have heard that changing the water can stress the fish, but mine seemed quite happy with it, and seemed very interested in the plastic jug I use for scooping water out ;)
Even if the change does stress the fish out, it'll still be less than the stress they'll feel with high ammonia/nitrite.

Back
Top Bottom