Help nitrAtes to high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5andy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I cycled my tank for 8 weeks, put in fish and now my nitrates are 160. I'm using the API masters kit. I bought fish 3 days ago and half of them are dead. I only had time to change about 4 gallons of water out of my 29 gallon tank before work this morning. I will test when I get home to see where my nitrates are. How much water should I change? When can I replace the fish?

It's all math, at 160ppm a 50% change will drop you to 80ppm and so on. I'd try to get them down into the 10-20ppm range and go from there

Hello 5...

The water in a smaller tank should be changed out at least once a week and at least 50 percent of the volume. Adding some individual stems of a floating plant like Anacharis will help keep the tank water clean between water changes.

B

Adding some individual stems of a floating plant like Anacharis will help keep the tank water clean between water changes

For those with a black thumb like me, further detail is needed.

Do these stems actually get planted in the gravel, or just let them float on the surface?

It's all math, at 160ppm a 50% change will drop you to 80ppm and so on. I'd try to get them down into the 10-20ppm range and go from there

That helps! Thanks! How often can I do water changes?

Assuming you match temp and the ph isn't drastically different I've done 90% changes in the past

Hello Up...

There's no planting required. The plants just sit on top of the water, close to the light source. They take in the nutrients from the dissolved fish waste (nitrogen) through pores in the leaves, so they'll keep the tank water cleaner. Large, frequent water changes are a must for any tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom