Help on choosing equipment for 35g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Watsonja4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I am new here and to the hobby. I picked a 35g tank up with stand and hood for $50.00 about 2 weeks ago at a garage sale. After resealing the inside of the tank which turned into a huge PIA I am happy to say im 5 days into my week long leak test with no issues so far. So to my question of equipment. I am looking at the fluval aquasky led for lighting, a eheim jager 150w heater, and a fluval c4 HOB filter. Are these good choices for my tank? I am worried about filter being to small, would upgrading to a aqua clear 110 be better? I plan on the tank being a community with tetras, danios, etc. I would like to only run 1 filter to minimize potential leaks and the tank dimensions are
L36in x W12in x H18in if that helps. I plan on starting my fishless cycle when my leak test is done and I have chosen equipment so any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

hi,i have a eheim jager heater for over a year and is very accurate,filter wise have you though about external canister filter?,they have more room for filter media...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have not really considered a canister filter since they seemed really complicated and brands such as fluval are quite expensive. That being said, im open to the idea if it is best for my tank. Any advice on size or brands?
Thanks for the reply.

i have a fluval 206 that i bought second hand,the only problem i had is when i open it to clean it,sometimes it leaks if air get trapped inside the canister...i don't know about other filter makers,i'm sure other people have different filters in here,hopefully they get back to you soon or you could search online for filters reviews..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I run a SunSun canister filter on my 75G. It was the cheapest one I found and had a few good reviews so I gave it a shot and the thing works awesome, I have no complaints. Remember that you cannot have too much filtration, no matter which way you decide to go lean towards the higher capacity and flow rate for your tank size. I am not sure about that brand of heater, I have a heater currently in the tank however have not needed to use it since doing my fishless cycle.

Thats quite a deal you got there, fingers crossed there are no leaks for you. Good luck!

Thanks guys, After hearing your opinions and doing some research I have decided to go with either the Fluval 306 or 406. From what I can find on Fluvals site the filter circulation for the 306 is 206gph vs. 245gph for the 406. Which filter do I need for my tank? I only plan to run this one filter also since I do not want to deal with 2 filters.
Thanks again for the advice.:thanks:

The SunSun runs whisper quiet and holds a ton of media. The flow on my 304b has a 525gph rating on it. I know that is way too much for your tank but compared to the flow of canisters its same size and for half the price it is worth a good look. I have no regrets with mine currently. It also has a built in UV sterilizer which is a neat feature, I have not noticed a difference with this part because I have not had a reason to run it really yet.

Back
Top Bottom