Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Queenie11

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey I want help setting up my new 2, 20 gallon aquariums :fish2: so...any information you've got would be helpful :thanks:

Make sure you cycle them before you put fish in. If you dont know what this means please ask because letting the tank run for a few days is not cycling.

Reserch the fish you want to get while you cycle your tank. Make sure they won't out grown your tank and that they will behave with your other tankmates.

Also buy a API Freshwater Master Test kit avalible at petco, petsmart and probably your LFS. You will need to check your levels while cycling and after to maintain a healthy tank.

+1 to the posts above.

Get a good liquid test kit (not strips); the API Master Kit is best
Get a bottle of pure ammonia (ACE hardware)
While the tank is cycling, research the fish you want and then ask on here to make sure they are compatible with your tank size, etc.

There are two links in my signature: 'new empty tank' and 'what is cycling;' read them both and follow the fishless cycle guide. :)

What is cycling...what are healthy levels and of what?

Cycling a tank is basically getting good bacteria growing in your tank that will eat the toxins your fish produce so they don't hurt the fish. Absolutely find the thread called the almost complete guide to fishless cycling. It will answer a ton of questions and get you on the right track for a healthy happy fish tank. :) good luck any questions you have we'll be more than happy to answer. +1 to librarygirl everything she said is spot on!

Hey Im getting a wierd white slimy film on the top of my tank and the sides and bottom, what Is it and what do I do?

Umm tiny amount of rocks that don't even cover the the bottom (I plant on getting more) and a filter...I have a heater too but it's not in the tank yet and some water

Before you do anything else, you definitely need to read the articles mentioned above. Fish keeping is part zoology and part chemistry. To keep healthy fish, you need to make sure to have an ample amount of beneficial bacteria in the filter media before adding fish. Also, browse your lfs to see what kind of fish you might want to have. Employees there should have at least a basic knowledge of which fish can go together. I'd get some ideas there and then post here before actually buying anything. If you don't want to go through the weeks of fishless cycling, I'd recommend using Tetra Safe Start. I've used it on both my tanks and had good results.

Oh and a little blown glass floating thing, I have onE in my fish bowl though and my bowl is fine...the white stuff looks like vasaline clouds and cobwebs mixed together and it looks like there are little white crystals in it

The gravel was left over from a bag I used in my fish bowl

Did you rinse the gravel before putting it in? Did you clean the glass floating thing with soap or anything like soap?

No soap and I don't remember if I rinsed the gravel...

Back
Top Bottom