Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stardaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
My fish are still drying and my water smells I've done a 50% water change taken every think out washed it and put it back in put a air stone in there as I though wasn't enought air but are still diying and not to sure why some one help please me

I've lost five of my fish in the last 24 hours if this keeps going I'm not gona have any left

Could you please indicate tank size, type of fish, water parameters and water changing schedule? It will help in diagnosing the problem. Hang in there.

I have 120 liter tank I have 2 pleco 1 koi cat fist 6 guppies and 6 Molly's and 1 balloon Molly and do a water change about every week and a half to two weeks like the man at pets at home told me too

Ok, unfortunately, I only know a little about goldfish. But I'm sure an expert will be along shortly to help you.

They will also want to know:
- your parameters for Ammonia, pH, Nitrite and Nitrate.
- % of water you change weekly.
- a pic of you fish.

I hope someone can help you soon.

I don't do my test pets at home do and they said it was fine then my water started to smell

It's a lovely tank!

Apologies for so many questions. Does the shop use strips or a liquid tester? The former are very inaccurate, so the results you were given might not give a correct picture of what is going on.

Thanks and there using a API test master to test the water they said it was fine then 24 hours later my water smells ad not sure what to do with it

The API liquid tests are great :)

I wonder, are you in the Southern Hemisphere - if so, it could be the extreme heat (in the 40Cs where I am in Melbourne today).

Are the fish presenting with any symptoms - physically and/or in behaviour?

Nah I'm in London not very hot cold and wind and no not really they seem fine and then just die I had two koi cat fish and they where both fine got up this moning and one was dead but last night was fine when I bought then they was doing laps in my tank he was doing that last night so seems fine then this morning was a new ball game

Were they new to the tank?

I've read a lot of posts and lfs reviews where people say they buy fish, they look fine but then go to fishie heaven in 2-3 days. It could be the shock of the move, as well as the little guys not being that healthy to start with (the fish at my lfs always look poorly).

I hope an expert will help soon - I'm afraid I can only offer my amateurish observations.

Hang in there, and I'm sending positive vibes to the rest of your gang...

Thanks mate

Star daddy. You really really need to buy your own API master test kit. Do not trust pets at home. Do you remove the bodies of the dead fish? If not that's probably why your tank is smelling. You also need to clean the tank way more than you are.

If you have taken all your decorations out and scrubbed them in tap water then you will have lost your beneficial bacteria that was on them. Do you clean the filter sponges? If so then how? If you clean them in Tap water you will keep destroying your bacteria that you need.

We can't get to the bottom of this without you buying your own test kit and posting the results on here. We will help you to test the water. You need to buy that liquid test kit mate.
I'm in Manchester and I know that most chain stores like pets at home are rubbish. You can order the test kit off amazon for half the price at pets at home.

I agree totally with that :)

I can't tell you how useful the test kit is, and is 1/2 the price online compared to the lfs in Melbourne, too.

Yes you really need to get the test kit for us to be able to give you the best help :)

I know it costs to buy one of your own but think of all the money that you're wasting with fish dying. It's better to have it on hand. The very first thing I do if I suspect a problem in my tank is to run a full test panel (then I do a water change)

OK, prepare yourself for the question barrage but this is how we can best help you, by asking for more info:
Was the water "fine" according to Pets at Home before you added the new fish, or after?
What does "fine" mean to them, do you have any idea? (get a kit :) )
What were the new fish that were added? How many?
So it's the fish that were only in there a week that died?
Have any of your older fish died?
What kind of filter do you have?
How did you acclimate the new fish before putting them in your tank?
+ all the questions Caliban asked

Hang in there :)

Hi I'm sorry about your fish. Unfortunately you added to many fish too quickly. The tank has not cycled properly and the fish are likely dying from ammonia poisoning. It's generally a good practice not to trust the advice from pet stores and do your own research.
What dechlorinator are you using? Are you using tap water?
Until you get your own liquid test kit, I would do multiple 50% water changes with dechlorinator over the course of a day or two. Do one every few hours. See if that helps the fish any. These guides may be of some help too:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

1. Get a liquid test kit - best investment you'll make & don't trust LFS testing.

2. Make a log of daily tests prior to water changes and log all changes to tank (fish introduction, filter cleaning etc).

4. Log water changes and percentages.

5. Get a feel for your tank and how it is reacting.

When you have all this information you can more easily see cause and effect and react accordingly. Be pedantic, especially at first, and as your tank settles as you would like then testing can be decreased unless, again, you make a change to your tank.

I use an App called AquaPlannerPro, it's free, and all the above can be stored on the appropriate pages. The test results can even be shown on a graph over a timeline. Again this will help you to record your tanks progress and get a longer term view of how your tank is performing (or should I say - how you are performing). I would be lost without it.
Am I allowed to Promote other Apps? Oh well! Done it now!
Good luck with the tank. S.

I agree with caliban do water changes but never clean the deco or clean the gravel

Back
Top Bottom