Help setting up a 280 Gallon fresh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicaltim

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am about to set up a 280 gallon fresh water tank. The tank is 8 feet long, and acrylic. I would like some suggestions for filtering ideas. The tank is not plumbed or drilled. I have always used undergravel filters before, with canister or waterfall external help for larger tanks. I want to have excellent filtration, and low maintenance in this tank. It will house my Arowana that has out grown his 100 gallon tank. Every Arowana I have owend has jumped out of its tank. I finally bit the bullet and purchased the largest tank I could fit in my home. I also have seen larger tanks set up with ultra violet filters, what advantage is that? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Tim

280 gallons! I'm really sorry that I won't be any help, but my hat is off to you for trying that. Arrowanna are real beauties, but I've never tried to keep one. Good for you for being a good owner and getting him the best home you can.

What floor of your house is this on? That is going to be over a TON of weight you know. Just want you to avoid disaster.

Just brought in a modular home, had the floor joices modified to support the weight, should be no problem, custom making a stand out of oak, should be able to drive a tank on it when it is done!

Acutally I would est the weight to be closer to a ton and a half or 3000lbs

the water alone will weight 2240lbs.

If the builder knew the intent then they should have built it to support. If not then you could have a course of action aganst them.

BUt I suspect you will have no issues.

I have heard of how the arowana's are jumpers (aka carpet surfers). I would go with an enclosed canopy and have fans to vent hot air out of the canopy.

Maybe get some "egg crate" and then weight that down some how.

Acrylic tank

280 gal? I'm green with envy! That is gonna be an awesome setup. Since the tank is acrylic, you could drill it and run a large sump underneath. The sump would house all your filtration and provide a place for the heaters. That would leave the inside of the tank with less stuff showing. The only manufacturer that makes a canister capable of filtering this size tank that I know of is Eheim. Their model 2260 is rated @ 500 gph. I'd really think about the sump though.
Logan J

WOW!

280 Cool,

My hat is also off to you, and to think i thought that getting a 55 Gallon was just to much for me, je je.

Hey, please send some pics when you get it up and ready, and some pics of your arowana, lucky guy.

Katfish

280? wozers! Get some pics up i would like to see the tank plus i bet the arrowanda is amazing if it has outgrown a 100 gal. Anyways, the weight is going to be extreme, an idea is to consiter getting a separate tank (mabie somthing like a 25 gallon?) and hook the 280 and 25 together so the water circulates, then load the smaller (25 gal.) up with filterage. Ive seen things like this at pet stores, i guess its a good idea but i dont know what im talking about so make sure to research it.

280 gal? Very cool! Yes, please post pics. I'd like to see a pic of a fish that has outgrown a 100 gal tank!

Back
Top Bottom