Help! Stuff in my water!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So we had a power outage and so my filters were off for a few hours. When they came back on in my 29 gallon I found these flecks of what looks like some film. It's very sparkly and there are tiny pieces and huge pieces. I tried to pick up some of the larger pieces but once they're out of the water they melt away to nothing.
I've done multiple small water changes since then and I cannot get rid of it. Does anyone know what it is or how to get rid of it?! I'm almost to my last resort which is to do a 100% WC and clean it completely, but I know that could be detrimental to my fish. If that is my only option, what is my best method to increase the fish survival rate? Here's a picture of the stuff in my tank. Sorry it is so hard to see but the big pieces have settled to the bottom again so it's just the tiny glittery pieces. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412384029.499094.jpg

Hi. I can't tell from the pictures but if the larger pieces are slightly curled then I think it may have come from your filter tubing. Do you regularly clean your tubes ( not being personal) with a tube cleaner - looks like a tiny bottle brush on a flexible curtain rod or thick nylon pull string. Apart from keeping the flow rate high, cleaning removed accumulated dirt which can harden and eventually flake off. Just a thought.
If it is from the filter then give all tubes and plastic attachments a good clean (not the filter media). Remove the debris by WC and eventually if will all be gone. I don't believe a drastic 100% WC or tank clean/rebuild is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't change that much water especially since your power was out for so long - the bacteria in your filter might've died and you could go into a mini cycle. I would just leave it alone it's probably just debris chipping from your filter.

Don't change that much water especially since your power was out for so long - the bacteria in your filter might've died and you could go into a mini cycle. I would just leave it alone it's probably just debris chipping from your filter.
It takes a lot longer than a couple hours for bacteria to die off. But I agree with not doing a huge water change.

Just throw some filter floss in your filter. Itll take care of itself. Its just some mulm that built up and got kicked loose when the filter restarred.

Back
Top Bottom