Help- Surprising Father In Law

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaybeefeather

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

So some backstory First:
My father in law has a decent tank. (pictured) a few years ago he somehow got some real bad mold that had spread through his tank and unfortunately killed everything :( Since then the tank has sat untouched. He plans to populate it again one day. Hint this post. I want to get it started for him as a thank you for all he has done for us.

I know I will need to clean it thoroughly so question number one. Bleach is usually the best cleaner for everything, However I know fish can be sensitive. Is there a cleaner that will do as good of a job for the over all clean on the tank (which I know I will have to do) or is bleach and rinsing really well my only option? I know I will have to replace all filters, clean out the filtration system and replace all tubing and such. I am prepared for this. He has a Top Fin 75 filtration system.

Second thing: I know he wants freshwater fish but that's just about it, he doesn't have any specific fish in mind. I really wanted to do an Axolotl because I think they are super cool and really cute, however I have read they are more of a solo option and I think he wants a more active tank. What are some fish recommendations you guys have that will cohabitate well?

Any and all other advice as I undertake this surprise for him would be GREATLY appreciated :)20220304_153226.jpg

P.s everything that is in the tank is going to be removed and gotten rid of

Last edited:
Bleach is the best option. 10% bleach solution, rinse, thoroughly rinse some more, airdry. Airdrying is important because it causes any bleach residue to break down to harmless byproducts.

How about starting small, maybe two types, so he can be inspired for what more to add? Danios, corys, mollies, rasboras all do well together. About half a dozen of any, so they school and are comfortable.

Are you planning on handing over a stocked, operating, tank as a surprise? Or is it more of a "Surprise! We are going to fix up your tank!" kind of thing?

Be aware that the tank will need to be cycled one way or another and that can take several weeks.

Since you are going to be cycling the tank with fish, i would recommend a few small, hardy fish to start with. Maybe 2 or 3 platys?

How big is the tank?

Do you need any advice on cycling the tank?

Back
Top Bottom