Help - T5 Lighting over Open Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ive never had an open aquarium before. I recently bought a set of T-5 lights for my 46 gallon and on the package it says to only use over closed aquariums.

It is a Aqueon T-5 fixture... And it does have a little slip cover over the light fixture itself.

How important is it that there is a lid on my aquarium...? Mine did not come with one, and I was able to get a discount because of it. The only cover Ive found for it I would have to order from amazon and it costs like $60.

I have 4 retro kit t5s over open to along with 4 bulb coralife t5 unit on my 90 never gave me any problems

Just be careful not to splash up on it. And be careful if you lift it up and stuff so it won't fall in. That wouldnt be good!

You can get glass covers for fairly cheap. If you can't find one then just take your measurements to a local glass shop and have them cut it for you.

As long as you dont have water getting into the electrical, you are fine. If you have an air stone you will get some droplets on the plastic cover and it will dry and make a film. You will have to clean it about every time you do a PWC. A glass top will be similar. The biggest benefit from the glass top (aside from keeping you from dropping the light into the tank) is that it decreases the amout of water you will lose to evaporation.

Manufacturers put that little note on there to cover their rears in case some idiot drops the fixture in the tank and says that there wasn't a warning about having a top. I don't run a top on any of my tanks for simplicity reasons. Less is more IMHO. THe less I have to deal with when doing a water change or feeding (ie lifting a lid, moving it, etc), the better.

mfdrookie516 said:
Manufacturers put that little note on there to cover their rears in case some idiot drops the fixture in the tank and says that there wasn't a warning about having a top. I don't run a top on any of my tanks for simplicity reasons. Less is more IMHO. THe less I have to deal with when doing a water change or feeding (ie lifting a lid, moving it, etc), the better.

I must say he's right on point! I've broken 3 glass canopy's when moving them and placing them on the ground. One wrong move and snap!! DONE!! I still haven't built up the courage to go topless. Maybe one day someone will talk me into it. He's also right about the cleaning. What a pain! Condensation build up, then nasty crud on the glass! Pain in the *** all the way around.

My tank is topless I love the look I don't no what it is about it I think its the aerial view is a completely different way of seeing your fish

Back
Top Bottom